Outgoing calls occasionally fail

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by zooeyhall, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zooeyhall

Has anyone experienced a problem where: dialing an outside phone number, the call does not go through?

It doesn't happen on every call---maybe once or twice a day. And then it may go several days without recurring.

We have a small office with 5 phones (SNOM, with the latest firmware). We are using 3cx version 10. Outgoing calls are done over three PSTN lines, via a Grandstream gateway (GXW 4104, with the latest firmware). The system is setup so that users dial a 9 to gain an outside line. 3CX is running on a dedicated Windows 7 pc.

I will try to add to this post a piece of the 3cx log that is recorded when this happens. But basically, all the 3CX log shows is that the call is passed to the Grandstream, and then 20 seconds or so later the call is terminated.

The users say that after 20 seconds of silence, they "may" hear the called party saying "hello" several times, as if the call has rung on the other end. However the caller(s) from 3CX say they didn't hear any ring tones while waiting for the call to connect.

I was wondering if any other 3cx users have come across a similar situation, and what was done to fix it. Please get back to me if you need further info.

We have 3cx at two other company locations, and it seems to be working fine.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

My first suspicion would be your gateway, the second, the phone lines. Check to be sure that you have the latest firmware installed in the gateway. Then, turn down one line at a time to force calls to the other lines in an attempt to see if it is only one line causing problems.

If it happens enough you may be able to determine if it is one particular trunk by using the 3CX logs.

3. zooeyhall

leejor: Thanks for the reply. I certainly agree that the gateway is the first thing to try.

I originally had a Patton 4114 gateway on the system. We were having echo issues, and I replaced it with the Grandstream. But that seemed to be the start of this mysterious problem I am having now. I am going to replace the gateway a third time with a new Patton I have on the shelf, to hope it fixes it.

The Grandstream is running the latest firmware. I have talked to Grandstream support and they couldn't offer any help on what might be the problem.

It's really an aggravating problem, because it only occurrs intermitantly.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

See if you are able to detirmin if it happens on all lines or just one or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.