• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Outlook Calling - Call Transfer Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

activeserve

Reaction score
So I was hoping that this issue would be fixed with version 9 and the new Call Assistant, but the issue is still there.

If I use the calling feature from a contact in Outlook 2007 and dial a number my default local area code (305), the system calls my extension, I pick up, and the call completes to the destination.

If I dial a contact number with any area code outside my default local area code (such as 786, 954, etc), the system calls my extension, but when I pick up, I hear "Call Transfer Failed".

When I look at the logs, I see that the TAPI driver is passing a "%20" in front of the number, so 3CX is not recognizing this and not able to complete the call. I looked up "%20" and this is actually the code for a space. See logs below:

23:35:54.948 [CM503008]: Call(1): Call is terminated
23:35:51.948 [CM503016]: Call(1): Attempt to reach <sip:%[email protected]:5060> failed. Reason: Not Found
23:35:51.948 [CM503014]: Call(1): No known route to target: <sip:%[email protected]:5060>
23:35:51.948 [CM503010]: Making route(s) to <sip:%[email protected]:5060>
23:35:50.495 [CM503007]: Call(1): Device joined: sip:[email protected]:48089;rinstance=7260d41e20e038d5
23:35:50.495 [CM503007]: Call(1): Device joined: sip:[email protected]:40600;rinstance=1a39928792d53e4b

Why is the TAPI driver passing this to 3CX and how can I fix it?
:roll:

I tried multiple contacts in Outlook with various contact numbers and they all react the same. I have also tried this on different computers: XP, Vista, and Windows 7 and I have the same issue. There is NOT a space in the contact for Outlook and I've gone through my settings over and over to make sure everything is configured correctly.

The only I was able to work around the issue on version 8 was to use the Terminal Services version of the 3CX Call Assistant. Unfortunately, one does not exist yet for version 9.

Support had acknowledged it was a "known issue" and that they were working on a fix, but now they seem to have forgotten all about it and are asking me to send them logs and info all over again... PLEASE HELP!

Today Kyle from 3CX Support shared a remote session and we were able to narrow down the problem to how Outlook formats the phone numbers in the contacts.

If the number is formatted as:
"+1 (786) 444-9999" or "(786) 444-9999" (which is the default formatting in Outlook)
It adds a space in front of the number. This translates to 3CX as "%2017864449999" which it does not understand and ends up in a "Call Transfer Failed"

If we change the number format to "17864449999", then Outlook does not add a space and 3CX is able to complete the call.

The outcome?

3CX needs to be able to handle the various formats in which Outlook may pass the phone numbers. The default for US-based numbers in Outlook is actually "+1 (786) 444-9999" or "(786) 444-9999" and that does not seem to work because Outlook insists on adding a space (%20) in front of the number.

I hope this is fixed soon! :cry:

Hi,

Could you specify what Version of the Assistant and PBX you are using?
Also, what version of Office are you using? 2007 / 2003?

Users had this issue in V8 where we made some fixed but were unable to confirm whether the issue was really fixed since we could not replicate this in our test labs.

It would be very helpful to us (Dev&Testing) to fix this issue directly if you sent us the following logs:

On either OS's the logs are located here: Vista/ Win7
C:\ProgramData\3cx assistant\Data\Logs
C:\Users\phonetester\AppData\Roaming\3CX Assistant\Logs
C:\Users\phonetester\AppData\Roaming\3CX Assistant CRM Integration\Logs

Also a screenshot of how your Contacts are configured.

Please send this info to my mail at: [email protected]

I spent over 3 hours on a remote session with Kyle yesterday (2nd time I do this with a 3CX tech). I was able to duplicate the problem for him and it is happening on multiple versions of the 3CX Assistant. Both version 8 and version 9. (We even tried a beta build of the version 9 assistant which has Outlook 2010 integration.) The problem happened consistently on all versions.

We are running Outlook 2007.

This is not the first time I am asked to send screen shots and log files, but this does not seem to help the situation. Can someone from your support or engineering team schedule another remote session with me so I can show them exactly what's going on?

LeonidasG said:
Hi,

Could you specify what Version of the Assistant and PBX you are using?
Also, what version of Office are you using? 2007 / 2003?

Users had this issue in V8 where we made some fixed but were unable to confirm whether the issue was really fixed since we could not replicate this in our test labs.

It would be very helpful to us (Dev&Testing) to fix this issue directly if you sent us the following logs:

On either OS's the logs are located here: Vista/ Win7
C:\ProgramData\3cx assistant\Data\Logs
C:\Users\phonetester\AppData\Roaming\3CX Assistant\Logs
C:\Users\phonetester\AppData\Roaming\3CX Assistant CRM Integration\Logs

Also a screenshot of how your Contacts are configured.

Please send this info to my mail at: [email protected]

I'm having the identical issue on four PBXes I've tested. I've used Outlook 2007 and 2010 along with both 3CX v8 and v9. I've done packet captures and it seems that there is a space, ASCII 0x20, appended to the beginning of the number when it is being passed between the computer running the assistant and the PBX but when the invite is sent to the voip provider it is passed as %20 or in ASCII, 0x25 0x32 0x30.

I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but I found it interesting that how the values are being changed.

I'm certainly interested in any progress you make in the area.

Thanks,
Matt

It has something to do with the way Outlook passes the numbers to the assistant.
In some cases, it adds a space which translates to %20.

Support sent me a new version of the 3CX Call Assistant which fixes the issue for version 9. I don't think they will be releasing a fix for version 8, but at least it works now with the latest version.

I tested it with Windows XP / Outlook 2007 as well as Windows 7 / Outlook 2010. :) All working fine.

mattscott said:
I'm having the identical issue on four PBXes I've tested. I've used Outlook 2007 and 2010 along with both 3CX v8 and v9. I've done packet captures and it seems that there is a space, ASCII 0x20, appended to the beginning of the number when it is being passed between the computer running the assistant and the PBX but when the invite is sent to the voip provider it is passed as %20 or in ASCII, 0x25 0x32 0x30.

I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but I found it interesting that how the values are being changed.

I'm certainly interested in any progress you make in the area.

Thanks,
Matt

What version of the assistant are you running then? Is it newer than 9.0.13537?

activeserve said:
It has something to do with the way Outlook passes the numbers to the assistant.
In some cases, it adds a space which translates to %20.

Support sent me a new version of the 3CX Call Assistant which fixes the issue for version 9. I don't think they will be releasing a fix for version 8, but at least it works now with the latest version.

I tested it with Windows XP / Outlook 2007 as well as Windows 7 / Outlook 2010. :) All working fine.

Yes, I don't think it's officially released. It probably will be soon. :)

I am having a similar problem, however I found that if you add the Area Code you are trying to dial to the Area Code Rules as part of your location setup (Dialing Properties) then the call will be formatted without the space (%20). However that will become time consuming to add every area code.

I am hoping this is addressed int he next Assistant update.

Michael.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damiano giannini
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.