Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Overhead paging

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by chrissnap, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrissnap

I am really new to this so will need a little extra explaining if possible. :)

I am running 3cx 12.0.3xxxxxx, this replaced an older Avaya system.

There is an existing Avaya Universal paging module that has always been used for overhead paging.

The Avaya system had 2 extensions that played 2 different recorded messages.

I have been trying to read some and make heads or tails of this, but am needing some help getting it setup. It appears that I need a ATA in order to interface between the 3cx system and the Avaya Universal paging module, so I purchased a Patton M-ATA. I also setup an extension and registered the M-ATA with it. I also figure I will create multiple extensions for the warnings and register the M-ATA with each and depending on which one is called it can play a different recorded message.

On the Avaya Universal paging module there is a Page Port Input which I figure I am to plug the M-ATA.

Now, I figure If I call the Extension, I will be able to speak through the overhead?

Next step. Can anyone explain how I get my recordings to play when the appropriate extension is called?

I hope this makes sense and thanks for any and all help.

~Confused.

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

3cx is not setup to do this.
    You might be able to call the Paging Extension. Then transfer to an IVR which plays the message. IVR hangs up at end of message.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. netswork

netswork Active Member

If you use an ATA you are providing an FXO connection. You will not be able to use the paging port on that device but the device does have a loop start trunk option See page 9 (https://downloads.avaya.com/elmodocs2/ip_office/DOCS3_0/DATA/Additional/mergedProjects/manuals/job_aids/upam_universal_paging_access_module.pdf)

Once you dial the virtual extension that rings the port on the ATA you will be able to talk over the paging system. I am unsure how you will play a pre-recorded message. It looks like the pre-recorded message came from the old phone system.

You would be better off getting a different prodcut. I am familiar with the valcom vip-201 paging server but I am unsure if it does pre-recorded messages or not. Their support is pretty good.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. chrissnap

So I went ahead and purchased a CyberData SIP Paging adapter.

It can handle 2 extensions and 9 pre-recorded messages.

I was not to terribly expensive.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

5. netswork

netswork Active Member

Glad you found a solution. I used a cyber data several years ago when they were first available to interface with an OLD paging system and it has been working in a pretty harsh environment for a few years. It does not have all the features of the new ones but it works well. We use a lot of valcom gear these days but I have not had a customer with a need for a pre-recorded message. If I ever do I will look into the new cyber datas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.