Paging Device

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by craigreilly, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I have seen some conversations about Paging Speakers, etc - and that CyberData has not been tested with 3cx. It appears Cyberdata supports Multicast so in theory it should work fine... yes?
    I just deployed 60 Yealink handsets this weekend (T38) which do not have MultiCast and paging took 4 rings. Not acceptable :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. efounco

efounco New Member

If you're reselling a system, I wouldn't recommend it. However, this is what we use:

http://www.3cx.com/forums/overhead-paging-hack-for-the-cheap-like-me-22380.html#p1

I simply setup the phone up to use an extension, Then, I programmed a softkey on everyone's phone to dial *9 + <extension>. It works awesome!. It could also be used for 2-way with the right amplifier...

3. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

A pure software solution I have used is X-Lite V3.

Installed on the server or any PC with a sound card. Register to a extension number on the system then set it to Auto Answer. It will stay in Auto Answer after a reboot.

Simply run the out put from the sound card to a suitable amplifier and there you go. Just dial the extension and speak.

4. gschwab

gschwab New Member

Are you wanting to page all extensions or overhead paging
    I am using a Snom PA-1 for our "SHOP" paging and it works fine. Actually a pretty good unit for the price, easy to set up and connect. One large 8 ohm horn in the front center of a 14,000 sq foot machine shop. It is LOUD out there and this works fine.

For the extensions...
    I have some Yealink T38G's and T20P's and I set up a ring group, Ring strategy = Paging. just add the extensions you want to page. works for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. craigreilly

We have that exact scenario.
    Snom PA for the BullHorn in the warehouse
    The Page-All when trying to connect to all 60+ phones takes 4 rings which is not acceptable since the 38's do not have MultiCast. Yealink says that is will be forthcoming but I need to fix this sooner than that. Snom does have Multicast capability but then I need to run speaker wire. It is easier for me to use a SIP Speaker since I already have Cat-5 run everywhere.

6. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I have not looked at Paul's software solution, but it sounds like it could be a fit. I have used the snom pa1 with good results and it also has a feature so that it can be used as a ringer. This was helpful as it cut down on someone else having to answer and then page. It can do both.

7. craigreilly

Sounds easy enough - thanks for the input.
    But I'd still have to run speaker wire of some sort.

I was trying to avoid that and use the in place cat-5 cable...

8. craigreilly

Maybe I'll end up with just a few more of these afterall since they do have MultiCast.

Thanks.

9. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

You can get the same solution using 3CX phone. The only problem is when the PC reboots it goes out of auto answer mode. Its a shame it can be set to start that way, either by remembering its last setting or a command line extension on start up like "minimize" puts it in the tray to set the answer mode.

10. gschwab

gschwab New Member

Hmm. Mine don't ring at all, all extensions in the ring group just hear a beep and the person doing the page starts talking and everyone hears. I have the "use multicast for paging" box un-checked

11. countrycomp

I haven't tested it yet but the latest Yealink firmware x.61.0.80 states that it supports multicast paging.

12. craigreilly

The latest t38 is 38.0.23.16 (uk) or 38.0.0.115 (us) for the t38 and I don't see multicast in either one...
    I have it in my t26's but that is only a couple units. I have 60 t38's.

13. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I have used cyberdata equipment quite a bit with 3Cx

14. craigreilly

Thanks Kerry... That's the answer I needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.