Paging gets busy signal

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by petewatterschats, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petewatterschats

petewatterschats New Member

First under settings PBX Dial Codes Paging = *77

Next under Extensions for each extension under rights I checked "Can Intercom"

Next I a Ring Group and set Ring Strategy = paging and added the extensions I enabled with the right

Use multicast is not checked

I go to a VOIP phone that is one of the extensions allowed press *77 get a pause and then a busy signal. One of the extensions Is

From a windows soft phone click *77 call and I get an error message destination not found

From a DOS prompt I can ping the FQDN

Any advise would be appreciated

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

the code is used in conjunction with the extension you want to page. you should use multicast for group paging.

3. petewatterschats

I tried with one extension *77200 and it rang

For multicast it wants an IP Addresss and port is this the 3CX server or something elese

4. lneblett

Multicast is when the system sends out a message on a particular IP and port that the phones are preprogrammed to be listening. Most phones, within their web portal settings, have a location where you can set the "listening" IP and port for multicast. When a page goes out using multicast all the phones that have been programmed with same will respond to the message. It simply allows for a single "broadcast" message to be sent that will be received by those devices so programmed to be listening for same. It eliminates the need to address each phone individually as this could take some time depending on the number of phones involved and certainly does not lend it self to paging. In many cases you can set multiple multicast instances as most phones who support, will support more than one entry.

Keep in mind that paging is considered one-way, whereas intercom is two-way.

You can find out more here:
    http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/yealink-multicast-paging/

5. petewatterschats

I am in a test and learning environment so I have only one VOIP phone so I can not test VOIP Phone to VOIP Phone, I will order a 2nd today to see if I can get paging VOIP phone to VOIP Phone working

However I an having a problem with VOIP Phone to softphones and softphones to VOIP Phone

When I do a Page (*77) from Yeakink I get a busy sound and message not found

When I do a Page (*77 - Call) from a windows client I get a failed destination not found

How I set things up

Went to YeaLink T21PE2 web page Directory Tab Multicast IP
    Has 10 entries here onlu used one

IP Address = 224.0.0.252:1000 PageHouse

What do I do with page list, made not entries
    ==============
    3CX Server - Ring Groups
    name = PageHouse
    Use multicast Checked
    IP Address of multicast channel 224.0.0.252 Port 10000
    Codec G.711 U-law:pCMU
    Packet time 20
    =================
    Windows firewall is off

I think the issue is the PC's not being members of the same Multicast group as the PC

I assume what I was setting up for paging was a multicast group for paging and then adding the Yealink phone to that multicast Group and I would also think the PC Hosting 3CX would also need to be part of that Multicasting group

So how do I get the Windows PC to be part of the Defined Multicast Group

6. lneblett

*77EXT is the code. So, if the Yealink is set to be extension 100 and you want to page it, you input *77100 send/dial. The Yealink may also need to be configured to accept an incoming page/intercom. The 3CX system/server is not a part of the paging group. It is merely the device which accepts the page request and sends out to the endpoint.

Softphones do not inherently support multicast as they are an application that runs on a computer. They are dependent upon the IP of the computer and its NIC hardware.

If you intend to use multicast in a ring group, you merely dial the ring group extension, the system will handle the rest and ring the extensions in the group (provided the same extensions are programmed). *77EXT is typically used when paging an individual extension.

7. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

If you set up a Ring Group as you say you did - just dial the extension of the ring group to make pages. Then the phones aprt of that ring group will be paged.
    You would not need the *77. This would only be used to page a single phone... which in my opinion is rather worthless. Its really an "intercom" feature. We do not allow this. I had someone once "intercom" an extension when the person was out of their office and muted their call. Then the exec walked in - had a private meeting - and heard everything that was said. The exec never knew someone called him as he wasn't even in there. Some phones do have an Intercom Auto Mute feature which would have helped my situation.
    For some reason - 3cx required a code in that field just to use Multicast paging. Not sure why.
    The phones usually need to be enabled for auto answer something similar to this: Allow Auto Answer by Call-Info

You can use VLC installed on the PC I think as a Multicast listener. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
    I think you can then open a stream to the Multicast address you used 224.0.0.1:50002 for example.
    (side note: I do my Multicast ports in even increments only. The Cyberdata speakers do not allow ODD port numbers.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.