Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Paging/intercom delay

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by bbaker73, Dec 9, 2017.

Paging/intercom delay 5 5 4votes
5/5, 4 votes

1. bbaker73

bbaker73 New Member

Starting to get clients wanting overhead PA systems like the Snom PA1 with external amp and speakers for use in retail environments, however since the paging extension is within vicinity of speakers there is echo, feedback. Need option for paging/ intercom recording delay setting on an extension. Also more restriction settings to limit access to the overhead PA system.

craigreilly likes this.
  2. the60

the60 New Member

I have a client with about 40-50 overhead cyberdata speakers throughout their building. Each device is an extension. I set up a forwarding rule exception to "end calls" made from any source to the individual paging endpoint. This eliminates the possibility of someone mistakenly dialing that extension and speaking over the speaker system. Then I set up a number of ring groups which correlate to paging zones. Calls from ring groups are not affected by the individual extension's forwarding rule exception. However, as far as I know, anyone can dial the extension numbers(s) for the paging ring group, INCLUDING EXTERNAL CALLERS! Limiting access to a paging ring group to a list of extensions, or, at minimum, internal calls is long overdue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    craigreilly likes this.
  3. Brad Allison

I use CyberData for overhead paging.
    CyberData paging adapter and server support buffered paging.
    Key difference between server and adapter is the server can broadcast multicast and the adapter can receive multicast. if you don't care about multicast get the adapter.

If you have a single zone with an amplifier; like 70V; and you just need a gateway the adapter will work fine.

When using multiple CyberData speakers and/or adapters unless you have a need to dial each speaker individually just put them in multicast zones instead of registering them each as an extension.

Use the CyberData paging server to broadcast multicast. This gives you a single extension on your system that you can configure forwarding rule to block external callers. The paging server supports single or multiple zone selection through DTMF selection or just have one paging server per zone to avoid DTMF selection..

#3 Brad Allison, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    accentlogic and bbaker73 like this.
  4. bbaker73

bbaker73 New Member

Well I got excited with the Cyberdata paging adapter, but my client is all remote phones. Trying to get something to interface to their existing Valcom V-2001a. The Cyberdata looks like it would work, except no STUN, SBC with 3CX, only Local Lan and according to 3CX support would require VPN between site and PBX. Looking for something to work at the remote site.

5. Brad Allison

CyberData is generally pretty good about updating their products. I'll reach out the them to see if they can add STUN. You could still do multicast with CyberData locally but that does not solve your buffer need.

If you need a paging gateway that supports buffer and STUN take a look at the ALGO 8301.
    http://www.algosolutions.com/products/audible-and-visual-alerting/8301.html

6. giwm

giwm New Member

After experiencing the delay issues, we moved strictly to multicasting from the phones and listening on the Snoms. Stores are much happier and no license concerns with 3CX paging.

Restricting who can call an extension is a HUGE issue with paging. I had a thread about that: https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/extension-restrictions.48729/#post-197262

Multicasting bonus: You can then use the exception rule: * - Received During: All hours - End call

(Unless you have DECT phones that can't do multicast paging. Though I think Yealink may have fixed that in their latest update. I need to look at that!)

7. jem1

if you are using a SNOM PA-1, pair it with a Viking FBI-1A Anti-Feedback module. It records the message, then can play it once or twice depending on how you setup the dip switches. A lot of the manufacturing plants we have replaced phone systems in have had a FBI-1 or FBI-1A (newer model) already there.

https://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/fbi-1a/

8. Marty Sabel

Question
    Would it be possible to do this with the call flow designer?
    Person Dials Ext.
    CFD Prompts for the caller to record a message
    CFD then Calls the SNOM PA1 Ext. and plays the message the caller recorded

craigreilly likes this.
  9. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

Yes, this absolutely could be done with the CFD to eliminate the feedback.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. xadves

+1
    Just purchased the Cyberdata paging server to do just this. Would be incredibly handy if this was done on the PBX. That would give much more flexibility to paging systems. Right now, it feels you can only get away with a handmade solution or Cyberdata.

11. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

Personally, I think the Cyberdata solutions are extremely expensive and overkill for many situations. If you just need to page a couple of different zones, use the SNOM PA1 and hook several horns directly to the PA1. It has a small amplifier built in.

Granted if you have 50 horns/speakers to drive, the amplifier in the PA1 is probably insufficient. But you can probably drive 4 (perhaps more) horns with the PA1. If you need two zones, just install two PA1s. The PA1 becomes a standard 3CX extension, so you could implement as many zones as you want.

I'm not suggesting that the PA1 is going to be the perfect solution for every situation, but they are pathetically simple to install (in truth their guts are nothing more than a Snom phone in a square box with some additional connectivity options).

The problem of feedback is an interesting one that I personally have not experienced with the PA1, but it makes logical sense that if you are paging and in close proximity to a horn, the audio coming from the horn could find it's way back through the phone handset and create a feedback loop. I think Marty's suggestion to build a simple CFD application that first prompts you for the desired zone, and then prompts for your message is a easy, free (if you can build CFD applications), solution for that problem.

No doubt, I'm showing some of my ignorance and I'm sure there are reasons to build a more complex solution, with a bunch of different hardware pieces, but for my money I suggest you look at something simple, reliable, and inexpensive like the PA1 before you start building the space shuttle.

12. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

like this idea. need to experiment.

13. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I always use the Snom as a Multicast Paging Endpoint. So easy. And multiple zones if I recall - think I have a Global Zone and a Warehouse Zone. So either one always plays on the Snom. But I can page warehouse without rest of the building.

14. Jeremy Nelson

+1 on the Viking Feedback eliminator as a simple (if hackish) solution. I'd love to see a checkbox in the paging setup for "record the message and page after complete". Seems simpler to do in software and would be great to eliminate unnecessary hardware...