Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Paging Permissions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by joebocop, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joebocop

Hello,

I have set up a ring group on extension 695, and have added a few phones to that group. The ring strategy is of type "Paging".

Currently, once callers from the "outside" hit the PBX, they can dial extension 695 and have their voice broadcast on that ring group's phones! I want this ring group to only be accessible from extensions within the organization.

I seem to have missed where the permissions for such functionality might be located. Where do I make this configuration change?

Thank you.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the functionality you seek is not available to my knowledge. If anyone knows the extension, then it is accessible. to all that know it. Presumably, the ring group extension is not made publicly known, but this does not stop an employee or (ex) who knows the extension from being able to call in and activate it. You may want to consider submitting a feature request.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I thought that there had been a post a while ago regarding the blocking of outside calls when going though a digital receptionist, but I'll be damned if I can find it. What you might consider... Since outside callers would have to know the extension or the paging ring group, or chances are 1 in 1000 that they will hit it at random, change the ring group number to something completely different from the internal extensions (so that there is little chance of dialling it in error).

Create a dummy extension using the current paging group number (keeps it the same for inside users). Then make use of the forwarding rules, and more specifically, the handle outside calls differently part, to forward inside calls to the new ring group numbers, and outside callers to the receptionist, to drop the call ,or just send it elsewhere.

This way, the internal uses are none the wiser as the paging number hasn't changed, but even if they told someone on the outside, that person could not reach it.

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Leejor -

Brilliant!

5. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

great idea leejor.
    we ended up implementing Multicast paging from the phone and kept 3cx out of the picture.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. joebocop

Thank you so much, these are all very helpful posts.

Although I find it unlikely that an outside caller would accidentally dial the extension (it is very different from the other extensions that are published), you correctly point out that an EX employee could very easily call-in and broadcast to every phone in the 200-phone org. That would be bad, yes.

I believe we will implement leejor's very clever work-around, and that I'll do some more research on multicast paging.

Thank you again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.