• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved Paging woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

giwm

Forum User
Reaction score
Paging over phones seemed like the last thing I'd have to worry about. Suddenly it is becoming a huge problem.

Firstly, paging groups take up a license per extension involved in the page. (Please correct me if this is wrong, but that's what my dashboard shows.) So for my office of 70 phones, my 32 license gets me nowhere.

Secondly, multicast paging doesn't work if the phone you're paging from is a member of that multicast paging group. For instance, I set 8000 to a multicast paging group. I added two phones (Yealink T48 and T42) to the multicast group. From the T48, I dialed 8000. The 8000 was put on hold and the multicast IP was shown as line 2, as in call. But the T42 played hold music.

The only way I could get this to work was by setting Multicast paging up completely from the phone interface: First the paging groups, then the necessary BLF's. But the BLF's will get wiped if the phone gets reprovisioned.

So how should I be setting up paging when I have 70 phones and I need a handful (conference rooms for instance) to be excluded?

Well you definitely want multicast paging for more than 20 phones anyways. You probably want to make a custom template with your multicast settings which you can use to provision the phones and then provision the BLFs through 3CX. The other option is I think Cyberdata makes a paging device that will act as a single SIP endpoint and then can page out via multicast. That should resolve the issue with the page originator being part of the multicast group. That being said I don't believe I had this issue before when setting up multicast paging so it might be either a 3CX bug or Yealink firmware bug. What version of 3CX and Yealink firmware are you running?

I agree with cobaltit. (But I prefer algo - same idea though) ... also, that bug you're describing I think might be just the "paging barge" feature on the yealink. Should be disabled.

@JasonNadeau Yes, you were correct. Paging barge was turned on. Turning it off fixed that issue, allowing me to use the BLF with an extension through 3CX and not have the multicast page occur on the paging phone.

I'll play with this more now that that is working. Thank you both.

Random question based on your feedback: Has anyone got multicast provisioning to work on a Yealink T4x phone?

I have these two options set as shown:
multicast.listen_address.1.ip_address = 224.0.1.75:50001
multicast.receive_priority.priority = 0

I can't get the T40P, T46G, and T48G to pick up those settings.

Yes ... what firmware version are they running ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchofficees
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.