Paging

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jasonhayes, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

Hi Just upgraded to Yealink phones. I'm looking for a way on enabling paging in a warehouse. The speakers on the yealkinks are just not big enough, having two of them in the warehouse. Doesn't anyone know how to attach a bigger speaker to a Yealink phone (T20) or any VOIP Software which supports paging, so I can just put a large pair of speakers on a PC and the VOIP software plays the page over the PC speakers?

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, none of the SIP phones will have speakers loud enough to encompass large, noisy areas like warehouses. They were never designed to.

What you need is a SIP paging endpoint. Look at the SNOM PA1 as an example. Others are also available, but I prefer the SNOM as it is generally less expensive and can also act as a ringer.

Fundamentally, you manually provision the device as just another extension. When you dial the extension, the PA1 will auto answer and then feed the analog voice to a set of + and - pins that are used to feed the speakers. The device has a 4 watt amplifier built-in.

Valcom is another manufacturer that supplies similar equipment.

3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

The Snom also supports MultiCast paging too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

Thanks, was trying to do it on the cheap as already have speakers, just need a way of getting the audio (page) to the speakers.

5. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Then the PA1 is about the most cost effective way. They retail for around $140 and have the amplifier you need.

To come directly from a phone, which some have done, they still need the amplifier and they pretty much tear up the phone in getting to the attach points. It really is a wash in my opinion as the PA1 is a ready to go out of the box solution that does what you want, is PoE and doesn't require any custom one-off modifications.

6. tlsallada

I have used Valcom V-1030C self amplified speakers attached directly to Yealink T42G phones to work nicely in paging a large warehouse area. I'm sure it invalidates the warranty, but, I just opened up the phone and solder directly to the internal speaker wires and run that to the Valcom horns.
    The only downfalls are that the Valcom horns will sound when the extension is called and they also lose the handsfree ability as the horns will broadcast any handsfree activity. In my case, neither of these factors mattered to the client and actually they liked hearing the extension 'ring' over the Valcom V-1030C so they could hear it within the warehouse. This is the quick and cheap way to get it done.
    I also did use a Snom PA-1 in another area of the facility where they wanted not to hear the extension ring over the paging horn and they are very easy to provision and use.

7. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

If you have a "slave PC" available for which you can attach speakers.. consider using the v6 flavor of the softphone and place it in an auto-answer mode.

Perhaps an older laptop?.. Mine end up as NAS devices, game servers, or far network test endpoints.. and a 3CX extension in a pinch. ;)

8. jasit

jasit New Member

you can use the vlc player and point it to your multicast address. I had a old laptop with external speakers that I used and it worked fine.

jasit

9. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

VLC Player sounds good. Can anyone help with how to set it up? Had a quick look and can't see where to start?

10. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

goto VLC and download:
    32 bit here: http://get.videolan.org/vlc/2.1.2/win32/vlc-2.1.2-win32.exe

Then in VLC Media player-> Media -> Open Network Stream: rtp://239.0.0.1:50001

In 3cx create a Paging Group - MultiCast - or the phones - some can do multicast paging (Yealink for example) and create a button for Mutlicast paging to that IP. For some reason, sometimes I had to put the stream address as rtp://@239.0.0.1:50001 - otherwise VLC threw an error.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

Sorry, just got around to looking at this again, I can't get it working. I have setup within 3CX as per the attachment "capture1.jpg". Opened VLC, Media, Network Stream and entered withi the url "rtp://192.168.1.253:50001", then clicked on the Play button. When I page 794 nothing happens? The PC that is running VLC is on IP Address 192.168.1.253

Attached Files:

12. jasit

jasit New Member

Hi,

the laptop shouldn't be on the listening address.

I sent a picture of my 3cx setup, use the same address I did below 224.0.0.32 with a multicast port of 10000

in vlc open a network stream rtp://224.0.0.32:10000

try that, I am pretty sure that's how I used it.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.