• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

paging

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlachaus

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a large number of phones that will be need to be included in paging. I'm curious what my best option is to accomplish this...

I have probably around 50 phones and they all need to receive pages along with a PA system extension. It seems that a page ring group will take too long for all the phones to answer. (I'm not sure if this is only because I do not have all the phones online at the moment because they are currently connected to our soon to be old VOIP solution or if that is how long it will take normally.) Currently I'm connecting the legacy paging system with a SPA adapter and that extension is included in the ring group.

The other option seems would be multicast paging and then manually configure each phone with the multicast IP (no biggie). However, I'm not sure if this would also cause delay or behave much more friendly. (I can't include the SPA in the multicast paging I don't believe)

Could someone tell me from their experience if multicast would be the way to go or if I'll see the same result?

I'm using a ring group on the old VOIP solution and it seems to work fine.

I use Multicast - 2 zones in fact.
Warehouse
Office space

The office space uses Overhead SIP Speakers
The Warehouse uses Analog horns connected to a Snom-PA1
They are each a separate zone.
We have Page All, Page WH, Page Office.

Phones in actual offices (not cubicles) get a Multicast Listener programmed in their template.

I use a 3cx Ring Group to create the extension to dial. This is helpful because we have some Cordless phones that do not have BLF's. So they simply dial the extension.

(I could create a BLF in the template to do the Multicast Page directly if I wanted to - on phones that have BLF's)

There is no manual programming of phones. All done via the Templates.

I have done this with Yealink and more recently with Grand.stream phones.

I agree with Craig Multicast paging is the way to go. SIP paging is only useful for small environments.

Easy to edit the 3CX template to provision the phones with Multicast. The Snom PA1 is an excellent device to connect analog paging amplifier to SIP/Multicast paging.

Thank you for your response.

I haven't been able to find the syntax for the polycom 331/335 to get multicast paging to apply automatically.

Also, I see there are some paging parameters to get the page buttons on the polycom as softkeys, but they don't seem to function at all.

I may need to head to the polycom forums.

My Polycom experience is minimal and I'm happy to keep it that way.

I believe you can key in the multicast physically at the Polycom sets. Hopefully you don't have to many. The web interface for the Polycom is very limited.

As for speed dial key, if you have the Polycom's using the 3cx template setup a BLF key to custom speed dial and put in the paging group extension number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julian1234
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.