Panasonic KX-NCP500

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by skeep, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeep

Hi all,

Im new to this VOIP stuff! How can I link a Panasonic KX-NCP500 VOIP system to a 3CX server? The Panasonic is on another site but we are linked via a 10mbit circuit. We want to use 3cx on its own eventually but in the meantime the two systems will need to be linked.

Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Skeep

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Linking two PBX's isn't an easy task. You will never get much more than being able to call extensions from one to the other. To do that you've have to have trunks from 3CX register onto lines from your current board (Have to be SIP lines of course) and trunks from your existing board register with lines from 3CX. Of course the dialplans on both have to accommodate dialling from one to another. If you want access to outside trunks, well... they have to either be bridged with both boards at the same time, messy and NOT recommended, or you have to have a set of new trunks, just for the 3CX board. That means no incoming outside calls without a new phone number.

If you are serious about the eventual replacement of your current board it's best to build the 3Cx board in parallel and do lots of testing after hours with it connected to your live trunks. Only cut it over when you are sure that you have covered all possible calling/routing scenarios.

3. skeep

all I need is the ability to call each others extension. To do this in 3CX do I need to create a generic Voip provider to a SIP extension on the Panasonic box?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Yes, that should work. Calls outgoing from 3CX would go (route to) to a trunk (Generic set-up should work) registered to a SIP line at the other PBX. If, for example, you chose 3 digit set-up at the 3CX end, you could have an "access" digit, for example "8". If someone wanted extension 301 on the other PBX, they would dial 8301. Strip the 8 and send 301 on the trunk. the other PBX gets 301 and routes to ext. 301. The reverse would apply on the other board. This is all assuming that the phones used on the other PBX are a standard SIP compliant phone and not proprietary to Panasonic. Otherwise the 3CX trunk won't be able to register on the Panasonic PBX line. 3CX does have Bridging trunks, but I'm not sure if they are meant to be used (will work via VoIP) between other makes of PBX's or only between 3CX installations.

5. skeep

Thanks for your replys! Could you explain the difference between a generic SIP trunk and a generic VOIP provider?

Thanks

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

For me, anyway, it's pretty much the same thing, a VoIP provider, "provides" a SIP trunk to a user. The Generic part generally means that you'd better have gathered all of the required info to set up the trunk because it's not a "known" provider.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It looks like using the Bridging trunks may be another option for you. http://www.3cx.com/forums/bridging-3cx-with-other-ip-pbx-11508.html

8. skeep

Ok, I can now phone the panasonic system from 3cx. My next question is how do I set us a sip trunk to the 3cx? Do I simply create a new extention on the 3cx server?

If so how many concurrent phone calls can one sip extention support?

Thanks for your help I have been on a huge learning curve this week!!!!

9. skeep

I can now call both ways which is brilliant, however, I can only make one concurrent call to the Panasonic box. How many calls can one SIP account make? If it is only one how do I go about adding more lines?

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

One SIP trunk to one SIP extension = one call at a time. If you want more concurrent calls (up to four on the free version) then you would need to build four extensions at one end and create a trunk group with four members at the other.

11. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I would like to revive this topic -- connecting 3CX with Panasonic IP PBX (NCP, TDE). In my case I have in place Panasonic IP PBX as main PBX for the organization. I'm installing a 3CX for department PBX, using public trunks from Panasonic (ISDN) plus new pure VoIP into the 3CX.

One way to connect Panasonic IP PBX and 3CX is to establish 3CX bridge between them -- 3CX being master and Panasonic being slave (via SIP trunks). In this case you may have as many channels (simultaneous calls) you want, of course limited by licenses (number of IP trunks in Panasonic and number of Simultaneous calls in 3CX). You can call extensions in each PBX (subject to dial plan in Panasonic and Outbound rules in 3CX). You can forward external incoming calls (arriving in Panasonic) via DDI table and private network (and COS settings) but you can NOT make outgoing call from 3CX extension via Panasonic trunk lines – Panasonic is not allowing trunk-to-trunk calls (private to public network or public to public) - this is only possible from another Panasonic PBX via H.323 interconnect lines. It is possible to use 3CX trunks for outgoing and incoming calls from/to Panasonic extensions via the bridge, even sending the originator's caller ID from Panasonic (PBX CLIP) to SIP trunk in 3CX.

The other drawback of using 3CX bridge is that the Panasonic users see as extension name the number of the 3CX bridge (i.e. 10000 or similar). It is not possible to alter this like in outgoing parameters settings for VoIP providers in 3CX. It is possible to overcome this by creating a generic SIP trunk (without registration) in 3CX to Panasonic to port 35060 and use it for outgoing calls only. If you want to use it for incoming calls you may still use the bridge (with registration) or connect a SIP trunk to 3CX (without registration) but with allowed direct SIP calls in advanced settings of 3CX.

Coming back to the point of making outgoing calls from 3CX extensions via Panasonic trunks (not possible vai the bridge), I tried the following - registered 3CX SIP trunks to Panasonic SIP extensions (needs SIP extension licenses in Panasonic). In this way you overcome the limitations in 3cx caller's presentation to other Panasonic extensions (may need many licenses in Panasonic) and can make outgoing calls via Panasonic trunks with correct Caller ID (PBX CLIP).

The serious problem I met with this approach (SIP trunk to SIP extension) is that from time to time (completely random) the 3CX trunk is not registering as Panasonic SIP extension. The error code is 403: forbidden (from 3CX log). This is not affected by 'registration attempt interval' in provider's settings in 3CX neither by Panasonic general SIP extension settings parameters (time to re-register). If this happens, the 3CX is attempting to re-register in 10 minutes (meaning no service for these 10 minutes), also not possibe to alter in 3CX.

The strange thing is that the 3CX softphone is not experiencing this problem, only the 3CX phone system. I'm using the latest version 10 SP1 commercial edition. Does anybody have idea how to handle the case?
    There are known problems with registering certain SIP phones to Panasonic, but this is different -- you can have successful registration for several hours and suddenly you lose it for 1 or 2 periods of 10 minutes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.