Park button recommendations

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dchesnut, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dchesnut

I would like to replace a legacy PBX system with 3CX and the park feature is one that I can't figure out completely so I'd like some recommendations. We currently have the parking feature on our old system and use it extensively. Everything is pretty much one button access. What is the best way to configure a similar feature with 3cx including phone manufacture/types if needed. I know about 3CX's ability to park calls using *0 and *1 but I would like to implement that using keys on the phone in some logical manner. I have a hard enough time remembering which buttons to press to turn on or off this or that feature I can't imagine trying to tell my users that they now have to remember these key codes. And yes I realize I can use the 3CX Assistant but for most it's overkill since they will be getting a call once or twice a week. I have about 200 users so implementing this would need to be in the general phone templates so I can distribute it out to every phone.

I've thought about creating a key to push the current call into a parking orbit say *01 but how do I create a key to pick it up on that phone or any other phone? What happens if the receptionist has to place a call in orbit 2 (*02) How do I use that same pickup button to grab it from 2 instead of 1?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any input.

Regards.
    Dave Chesnut.

2. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

what you can do is if you have enough keys (Which you don't :p) you can configure 5 for parking and 5 for unparking on each of the phones.
    The 5 keys will park calls *00, *01, *02 etc etc and the other 5 keys will be the unparking keys - *10, *11, *12 etc etc.

Parking calls action is a busy feature in this pbx? Get the people that usually park the calls most - take the first 5 parking orbits and configure them on the phones - 5 to park and 5 to unpark. You cannot have enough keys on a standard phone to configure them all - you need 20 keys to represent 10 parking orbits and 10 unparking codes.

It will work something like this.
    Receptionist receives a call and presses Key 1 which will make a BLIND TRANSFER to *00. Then she needs to call the person involved in this and tell him that there is a call parked on 0. When the guy is ok to take the call he presses the button *10. And he will unpark.

Bulk provisioning - This depends on the phones to be used in this setup. What make, model?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dchesnut

I was looking at the SNOM phones for deployment. Probably the 320s for the desktops and the 360 with extender for the receptionist. The receptionist will be the one that normally does all the parking of the calls. We probably only use the first 3 parking orbits currently. On her phone she has a single lighted button for each orbit that she can use to either place the call there or pick it up from there. On the desktop phones we use 2 buttons as each phone has it's own parking location one to park it and one to pick it up. I was hoping that 3CX had something similar since I noticed that the documentation says that you should add the extension number of the phone parking the call when you pick it up from another phone. Is that correct? So to park a call in orbit 1 on extension 101 I would do *01 to pick the call up on extension 102 I would do *11101 is that correct?

4. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

you park like this - on snom - transfer *00 to put on orbit 0

You can provision the phone and create the template for bulk provisioning to configure a Lamp to transfer and park calls.

Then you configure a lamp to unpark. You can unpark a call *10 - this will unpark the call in parking orbit 0.

You can also unpark like this *10[extension that parked the call] - This will pick up that particular call because keep in mind that I can park multiple calls on the same parking orbit.

If I press *10 only and there is more than 1 call parked in orbit 0, I will be connected to the FIRST PARKED CALL - first in first out.

If you have calls to the same destination this is a good solution - lets say there is a person who receives calls - you can put them in a pool - example calls for the secretary go to orbit Zero.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

No

6. dchesnut

Thanks for the replies that gets me moving in the right direction.
    Dave

7. Discovery Technology

I suspect the SNOM is capable of being programmed so that it can wait for a string (such as a park number) before sending through the blind transfer - we're going to have a crack at this in the next couple of weeks, so we'll keep you posted with our progress.

We used to have a Siemens system that had a nice call parking feature that worked like this and found that it was pretty handy to have - I don't believe that this would be a function of the phone system as you ultimately need to hit a key, the phone waits for a number then sends the park sequence - the phone system only really needs to understand what it receives, which in this instance would be *0<0-9>

Take a look around the SNOM wiki site for any inspiration on this otherwise if you're in a hurry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.