paste number with entered digit

Discussion in 'Windows' started by qqblog, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qqblog

i always need to paste number to the softphone but i need to add a prefix '9'. so i type 9 and then paste but the 9 is erased. i am using xlite and it allows me to paste and append to 9.

1. any tricks to do so?
    2. if not, how could we add prefix '9' to every number we dial automatically?

2. threatcon

I've always hated 9, it's not natural so we don't use it. Instead I setup a series of outbound rules.

If you dial the standard 4 digit extension the system calls the appropriate extension.
    If you dial seven digits, it is assumed you are making a local call so the system appends "1+local area code" to the number.
    My SIP trunk requires a 1 in front of all numbers, so if you dial 10 digits a "1" is appended to the dialed number.
    And if you dial 11 digits it will process the call as a normal outgoing call nothing added or stripped.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, many users are unable to use a system that doesn't use an access digit

Which is fine if you live in an area with a single area code, which , in North America, is becoming increasingly rare. You also have to consider "special" short numbers, the X11 series in North America and possible conflicts with extension numbers on the PBX. You could not have people dial 311 if Extension 311 existed. They could dial 9311 however. Some areas use 310-XXXX numbers that do not require an area code, and if one is added, the call will fail. There are a lot of number combinations to to consider, and every area/country is different. What works for you, may not, with the next user.

The other benefit of an access code (or several), is the ability to force calls over another route, whether that be a cheaper, or better quality long distance route, or even a tie trunk, to another PBX.

Many users are using an access digit to keep dialling patterns the same as it was on the "retired" PBX. People are creatures of habit, and if there is no reason to have everyone learn a different method of placing calls, why force it upon them?

As far as adding the 9 to calls...most mobiles these days have a lot of extra "room" for additional phone numbers per contact. You might consider storing an additional number that includes the 9 prefix, under that contact. It would become unwieldy to add hundreds, but for the people called most often, it could work. You could also suggest a feature whereby a digit could be added automatically, to contacts stored in the phone, before being sent out using the 3CX phone.
    http://apps.facebook.com/threecxideas/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.