Patton 4112 long outbound calls delay

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dnut, Nov 15, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnut

Hello,
    I'm trying to configure 3cx with a Patton 4112 Gateway.

I know it's way less than an optimal configuration.

ISDN based Gateway seems to work very good out of the box, PSTN ones instead seems to need some tweaking.

I solved volume issues adjusting gain on the Patton 4112 PSTN Profiles, but I have on last issue with the outbond calls:
    it takes 8 to 10 seconds to start the call with the pstn gateway
    It takes around 2 seconds to start the call with a VOIP gateway

Any suggestion?

Attached there is the log of a single outbound call

Attached Files:

• log.txt
      File size:
      24.6 KB
      Views:
  2. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

Hi dnut,

When you create the device in 3CX, if you go to "Options" you have a setting >> Dial Delay.
    Set to "wait for tone" by default, but you can change this into an amount in seconds.

If this does not work in the Patton device itself there is a setting called inter-digit timeout this can also be set to reduce the amount of time it takes for a call to initiate after the last dialed digit - this being full number as opposed to a similar setting you might see - overlap dialing which is each single digit to the exchange.

3. dnut

The gateway works only if I set it to "dial after 1 second"

That seems useful, I'll try and then report if it helps or not

Thank you

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Looking at the log, three are basically 3 times time stamps involved...

3:29.43 the call is first dialled
    3:29.47 the call is passed to the gateway and acknowledged.
    3:30.06 the call is disconnected

3:29.57 is there but involves STUN

So..the call is being processed by 3CX and passed onto the gateway within 3 seconds. Do you hear ringback at all, or is there audio only once the call is answered? If you call a nearby phone, does it ring in a reasonable amount of time (accounting for the gateway sending the DTMF tones), and you are simply not hearing ringback? If you plug an analogue set into one of the PSTN lines, and place a call from a phone, dialling exactly the same digits that 3CX is sending, is there any appreciable delay?

Could there be an internal dialplan in the gateway, that may be waiting for additional digits and therefore invokes a timeout, before sending?

Are all of the PSTN ports being used, and connected? Could it be that the call is attempting to route out over a trunk, connected to the gateway that is not working? Usually, if there is no battery on the line, it will be skipped. But...?

5. dnut

I'm looking for the setting "inter-digit timeout" in the Patton 4112, but I'm not able to find it.
    I searched on the manual too, but no success.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

7. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

Hi dnut,

Look in the Patton under:
    Telephony >> Call-Router >> Configuration >> Digit-Collection Timeout.

This is the global setting for this behavior you can also do this per routing rule also.

8. dnut

I hear audio only when the call is answered

If I use an analogue Phone the time it takes to make the destination phon to ring is 1-2 seconds

What do you mean for nearby phone?

Just using the first analog port (FXS 0/0), I could try if changing the port change the behavior

I have no idea about that, just resetted the unit before interfacing it with 3cx, need to investigate

9. dnut

In that very same page, I found the Digit-Collectyion Terminating Character
    Is there a way to add (not prepend) a digit in the 3cx Outbound rules?
    That could be a smart way to instruct the gateway to begin immediatly the call

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

leejor said:
    If you call a nearby phone, does it ring in a reasonable amount of time (accounting for the gateway sending the DTMF tones), and you are simply not hearing ringback?
    What do you mean for nearby phone?

What I meant was...if you call your mobile (or another phone), in your hand/close by, does it ring in the same amount of time that it does if you call it from an analogue set plugged into the same PSTN line? You say that there is audio once connected, do you ever hear ringback tone? I'm just trying to establish if the call is being dialled, in a timely fashion, but audio is not cutting through so you are no aware that it is ringing.

I haven't used the Patton, but, given that it is VoIP to PSTN there should not be any delay once that Invite is sent because of digit length as there may be when using a VoIP set. With a VoIP set, you are dialling the digits one at a time, and unless there is a dialplan to match with, the set has no idea how many digits you will dial. That is the reason for a timeout or a "send" character at the end. When the Invite is sent to the gateway, you have sent all the digits, it knows there won't be any more, so no need to wait.

That said, there is usually a setting called One stage, or Two stage dialling, this needs to be set to One Stage.

If you find that a call to your Mobile, or other nearby set is ringing the phone, but you just aren't getting ringback tone, then there is probably an option to allow audio cut-through once digits are sent out. If there is an excessive delay before even ringing the phone, then if it is trying the working PSTN port, there is still something it is waiting for and is going though a time-out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.