Patton 4112S Busy Signal

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by phoneleg, Mar 28, 2018.

1. phoneleg

I'm trying to connect our current one-way paging system to 3CX. The paging system is analog and the model is a Valcom 2006a. To help with this I have the Valcom connected to an FXS port on a Patton 4112S, and the 3CX system/network connected to the Patton's Ethernet port.

I setup the Patton as described here: https://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/patton-smartnode-sn4112-fxs/

But when I call to the extension associated with it I receive a busy signal instead of the anticipated dial tone.

In the 3CX management console it shows the extension attributed to the Patton as being active. When I connect an analog phone to the Patton instead, the phone rings as normal when called.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Is there a different piece of equipment I should be using instead of the Patton? Let me know if there's any more information I should supply.

Thank you!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Off hand, i would say that if it appears busy only when the paging system is attached, then the paging system is seizing the ATA. Was this paging system used with a line equipment previously? It's not set as ground start is it?

Looking at the pin-out of the device, I see that pins 1 & 26 can be used for either a trunk, or a Page port. are the options correct?

#2 leejor, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    NickD_3CX likes this.
  3. phoneleg

No, the Valcom is not set as ground start. The pin options are also set correctly. After looking at it more, could it be that we bought the incorrect device?

The goal is to call an extension and have it page a zone. We thought we needed an FXS device to bridge between the digital 3CX and the analog Valcom, but would we actually need an FXO device?

4. eddv123

eddv123 Active Member

The only setting in the Patton I know that has an effect on the "Busy signal" is the 'early-disconnect' option on the two SIP interfaces in the Patton config. Just un-tick the box, apply & test.

NickD_3CX likes this.
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Yes, it looks like it requires an FXO connection...

from the manual...

Access Methods
    Electronic Key System (C. O. Line Position)
    PABX (Loop or Ground Start Trunk)
    1A2 Key Systems (400 Type Line Card required

and...

To Access Paging/Override : Press CO line key,
    dial trunk access code or access page port if
    applicable

So...it would seem that the paging system should provide dialtone if you connect a phone to the tip and ring.

In this case, you will need a PSTN gateway. If you can still finf one, you could use something like a SPA3102 single trunk gateway. If you currently use a multi-line PSTN gatetway, with spare capacity, it would havbe to be split into mutiple trunk groups. You would then create a new trunk group in 3CX. Outbound rules would have to be created, to send the paging code to the device. .i.e. you dial 5204 3CX strips the 5 and sends 204 (if that is a valid paging code) to the device.

6. phoneleg

The early disconnect option was already un-ticked.

But regarding the FXO connection...

Funny you should mention finding a SPA3102 gateway, we have one of those but we figured we'd try something a little more "modern" with the Patton! I'll play around with that and see if I can get it working.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Splitting a gateway into multiple trunk groups, which you would have to do, if the device is currently in use, can be a bit challenging. If you do choose to use the 3102 I can help you get it configured.

8. phoneleg

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that the 3102 and the 3CX server are on the same LAN.
    If the 3102 has been used elsewhere, then do a factory reset (hopefully it does not have an Admin password that you don't know.)

Plug a phone into the Phone 1 port
    Press “****”
    Enter “73738,” then “#”
    Press “1” to confirm

Plug a computer , set to use DHCP, into the yellow "Ethernet" socket. It will be assigned an IP.
    Use a browser and go to 192.168.0.1, select Admin and Advanced, in the upper right corner.

On the System Tab, you want to enable Web Admin Access (this will allow you access when plugged into the LAN (Blue socket)

Assign a static IP/appropriate Netmask/Gateway/DNS server.... and an NTP server if you wish.

once you have changed this, you should be able to plug the 3102 into your LAN using the Blue "internet" socket. You should be able to access using the IP you assigned the device.

If you do not wish to use the in-built router, you can disable by setting Router/Lan Setup/Networking Service to Bridge. the Yellow "Ethernet" port can then be used to bridge another device.

In 3CX you will want to create a generic PSTN trunk. You will be asked for an IP and port of the device. Use the IP you assigned to the 3102 and you can use port 5062, which is the default in the 3102. Make note of the password and trunk number assigned by 3CX

Let me know when you are this far.

10. phoneleg

I've set the static IP and such on the 3102 device. But when you say a PSTN trunk, is that using the "Add gateway" option under the "SIP Trunks" tab in 3CX?

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It's probably similar in ver 15...PSTN Gateways,add a gateway, select Generic Device as the brand, put in the IP and port of the device.

12. phoneleg

Okay, I've added the gateway and put in the IP address and port number.

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Go to the Line 1 tab, and disable (I assume you won't be using that)

Go to the PSTN tab and enable the PSTN line (right at the top)
    Verify the SIP port is 5062 (the same one you used in the 3CX trunk settings)
    Go down to Proxy and Registration, put the local IP of the 3CX server into Proxy
    Under Subscriber information..
    Put in... User ID = 3CX trunk number
    Password = the password that 3CX gave you ( you can use your own, but you have to change the 3Cx end too)
    I don't think the Auth ID is necessary, or needs to be enabled, it would be the trunk number again, but you can probably leave it blank

After saving, check that the trunk now shows registered on both 3CX and in the Info page on the 3102.

Let me know when you get that far.

14. phoneleg

Yes, it's registered in both 3CX and on the 3102.

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

While at lunch i realized that i told you to use port 5062...well, the default port on the 3102 for PSTN is 5061. in the original 3CX guide for manually provisioning, they had people change it to 5062. It's been a while since I actually configured one. As long as the ports match at both ends, you're good to go.

Now, you'll want to SIP tab and change RTP packet size to 0.020 Save that.

When you dial a paging code in 3CX, you will have to create an outbound rule. If the paging device wants only digits (no * or #), then you should be able to send them all at once. So you create a rule for call staring with 5 that are 4 digits long, strip 1 digit and send on the new trunk. You dial 51234 and 1234 is sent to the paging device.

If that sounds like it will work, then you can set the 3102 for one stage dialling.

Go back to the PSTN tab. Since this is only outbound, you don't have to worry about any of the inbound settings, which simplifies things.

Under VoIP to PSTN Gateway, make sure that is Enabled.
    One stage dialling should be Yes

At this point, it should work.

When you plug the Line jack into the paging device, the Info page should show the voltage detected. The 3102 is normally expecting about 48 volts. if the paging device only puts out 24 volts, then 3CX will see the line as engaged, and refuse to put a call through. There are some seetings that can be changed if you encounter this.

Try a test call, if it doesn't work, checK the Info log to show the last VoIp number dialled and check the 3CX activity log.

If * and # must be sent to the paging device, then One Stage Dialling may have to be disabled as the 3102 will not accept # or * in a SIP Invite

16. phoneleg

After doing what you described above, I get a "503 Service Unavailable" notice in 3CX when trying to page. I did notice that the line voltage is only 24 volts, which sounds like it may be an issue.

Also, what do I put as the main trunk number for the 3102? I made up a four digit number to dial for it and setup the outbound rule (I do have to send a * to specify paging zone). Is the main trunk number something specific or am I doing that part correctly?

17. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

OK, you will have to make a change to accommodate the paging unit only putting out 24 volts.
    At the very bottom of the PSTN Line tab, go down to Line in Use Voltage, and change that to about 20 volts (something less than 24). Now it should put the call through as it thinks the line is idle.

If the paging system requires that you send a *, then you will have to set the 3102 for two stage dialling as it won't accept a * in an invite.

You will have to dial an access number, created in the outbound rules (but send no digits at that time), get dialtone from the 3102, then input the zone code as DTMF.

This might require some "tweaking" of dialling plans in the 3102.

#17 leejor, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  18. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

According to the instructions in the manual...

To Access Paging/Override : Press CO line key, dial trunk access code or access page port if applicable
    System Dial Tone : If so optioned (dip switch #1), the V-2006A/V-2006AHF returns dial tone
    Dialing Zones : Dial 1 to 6 for individual zones
    Dialing All Call : Dial 0 for All Call
    Dialing Groups : For Groups 1, 2 or 3 – dial 7, 8 or 9 respectively
    Activating Make or Break Contact Closures
    K5 : After dialing any individual zone, press the asterisk (*) once for 2.2 seconds of relay closure
    K6 : This closure activates as long as zone 6 is active
    Dialing Another Zone: Press pound (#) key to return dial tone

So,... it sounds like you don't have to dial * or # until you actually want to page. You can have 3CX send the zone digit, then the caller would press * , sending DTMF, and make the page. In that case, choose an access code, the add the zone digit, which can't match an existing extension number. So if you want to page zone 5, you'd dial 12345, strip 4 digits and send 1 (the 5). then the caller would have to press *.

Never having used this particular device, this is all an assumption on my part.

19. phoneleg

It works! We're able to page! Thank you so much for you help!

We haven't been able to get it to call an extension and automatically page an area, but I think having it working and just having to press a button or two is more than we could've asked for.

20. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What, exactly, are you trying to get it to do?