Patton 4114 2xFXS 2xFX0 PSTN Fax Line Setup

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ETAU, Jul 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ETAU

I have completed my latest 3CX installation for a new customer with one outstanding piece of config.
    I have just received the Patton 4114 that I want to use with the customers only PSTN line/Fax line as a backup in case their ADSL or VOIP provider is offline.

The PSTN line is currently used as the FAX line and is the same line that the ADSL uses. I was of the understanding I could use this Patton 4114 to share the Fax line and route any inbound voice calls to 3CX and route any inbound faxes to the fax machine. I was told this was possible and didn't give it any more thought until I just unboxed and connected the 4114. I wish to use this single PSTN line as an emergency fall back for a single concurrent call whether that be a single inbound or single outbound call.

Does anyone have any experience with the above scenario. I ran the Add Gateway Wizard which seems to want to connect 4 3CX extensions to the 4 ports on the gateway even though I only wish to use one. I generated the config file and uploaded on to the 4114. I now cannot see the gateway in the VOIP/PSTN gateways list, it is still empty. Does anyone have any experience with doing what I am trying to achieve. Any advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated. This is my first PSTN Gateway that I am attempting to setup, all setups thus far are straight SIP setups.

It would even be fantastic if 3CX could accept and save the faxes rather than them being diverted to the traditional fax machine, however I don't know whether that is possible. This customer requires a fax for legal purposes.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

The templates that I see for the Patton 4114 are set to either create 4 FXS or 4 FXO ports. Such being the case, it appears that you will need to manually provision the device for the desired functionality.

I am uncertain about the device being able to detect the type of call (voice or fax) on the FXO line and then routing accordingly - voice call to 3CX, fax call to fax machine. Ring cadence/distinctive ring perhaps? Conversely, I also do not know what might happen if the SIP provider is down and a fax and voice call are being attempted at the same time.

The only suggestion I really have is to call Patton support for their assistance and recommendations on how best to meet your needs.

3. CentrexJ

CentrexJ Member

First of all 3CX templates do not support dual use devices (FXO/FXS). They support either all FXS or all FXO. These type of devices including yours can be configured for one or the other through the 3CX template and then for the second function you have to manually configure it. Patton tech support (free) can help you configure it with 3CX. GIve yourself remote access to the 3CX server at your customer side because it could take a day or so for Patton to be able to help you.

Secondly 3CX doesn't have the ability to detect if the call is a FAX or a Voice call and route differently. This is the case for not only FXO but also VoIP and PRI FXO as well. You can direct the call to either a FAX email or a Voice route (Digital Receptionist, Ring Group, Call Queue, Extension, etc).

To get what you want, configure the Patton using 3CX's SN4112 FXO template. You will also need a physical device that can detect voice or fax calls and will go between the Analog line, the Patton Device and the FAX machine.

This is one of the better devices:
    http://www.faxswitch.com/StickFaxSwitch.html

Alternatively you can get what in Canada is called Ident-A-Call (other Countries call is something else) where the line has two phone numbers. Phone number 1 (FAX) will ring as "Ring -- Ring". Phone number 2 (voice) will ring as "Ring Ring -- Ring Ring". Set the fax machine to answer the first ring pattern (modern faxes have this built in). Set the Patton to answer after the third ring (unless the patton supports Ident-a-call and then set it to answer the second ring pattern. Have your VoIP provider send the calls to the second (voice) phone number on failure instead of to the FAX phone number.

All the best!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If the analogue line that you plan on attaching both the Fax machine and one port from the gateway is used primarily for the Fax machine. Then I would forget about using for any incoming calls to the PBX (disable the gateways ability to detect ringing/route the call). You can use the fax line (though the gateway) for emergency outgoing calls from the PBX, but only if the fax machine isn't being used at that time. If the machine isn't used a lot, then there is a good chance that a 911 call will go through, but you have to consider what would happen if the call could not be placed (someone was using the Fax machine at the time)?

That said, this emergency route is probably only to be used if the primary (VoIP?) trunk group fails.

5. ETAU

Thanks for the input. I agree that this could be used for outgoing calls if the fax is not in use. Incoming is not going to work. I will leave the fax on that line and not use the gateway.

6. Patch1

I have trouble with the logic behind this decision by 3CX.
    They already list and support all the other Patton devices.
    Having one device for FXS and FXO is cost effective for small businesses, particularly if redundancy and backup solutions are included.
    Smaller devices are likely to be more common and yield greater savings to 3CX in support costs through automation as small businesses are more common than big installations and do not have the luxury of IT staff dedicated to their IT installation.

It appears as if 3CX do not really want to supply to the small business market.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It may be that there are too many variations of these to begin developing templates. Or, complications, in provision can arise that may not be easily solved (by most users) when using multi function devices.
    While a number of companies do continue to use ATA's in certain areas, many have moved on to more sophisticated VoIP sets, with the exception, perhaps, of of hotel rooms. With VoIP trunking becoming the norm, those companies still opting for PSTN gateways is probably dwindling. It would be interesting to see stats on the sales of various configuration (number lo lines) gateways, and which are the most popular. I may be wrong, but I would suspect that if a company wants something more than an emergency PSTN line, then they are going to go for a four port, or up, unit.

Perhaps someone from 3CX could clarify the actual reason for not supporting the combination units..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.