Patton 4114 - turn off caller id?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dbergsma, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbergsma

Hi Folks,

current, patched freeware system with Patton 4114 (use Patton -- I tried grandstream, had problems with support, and never did get it to work well -- and almost gave up on 3cx -- which would have been a shame - I think its a great product).

Question: anyone know how to tell patton to pass the call immediately to 3cx and not wait for caller id? Our callers think we aren't around because, to them, the phone rings about 4 times, and our extensions only ring 2'ish times before the callers give up.

I am willing to give up caller id, in order to have a better chance at picking up the call.

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers
    Dean

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There should be an option, in either second or number or rings , on when to pass the call onto the VoIP device (3CX). North American caller ID is sent between the first and second ring so the time can be reduced to about half and still receive the caller ID info. I find it works fine at 3 seconds on a Linksys gateway, still get caller ID and the phones start ringing shortly after the caller hears the second ringback tone.

3. RobertKroll

I had the exact same problem (With a twist).

My equipment configuration:
    Windows 2008 Server
    3CX 8 user
    Patton 4114
    SPA3102
    5x SNOM 360
    2-lines provided by VOIP provider
    2-lines fiber optic carrier
    1-Plain old fashioned copper garbage (Remember this one...it MATTERS)

My problem:
    People were calling my cell phone to tell me that my phones were ringing with no answer. I said this must be a mistake because I am getting calls. I tried calling my office from my cell phone, and I got through on all 5 lines. My wife tried to call my office and all but one line failed. The line that went through was the plain old copper line. Now I am perplexed, could it be the voltage, could it be the frequency. Called patton support (BTW THESE GUYS ARE AWESOME), he remote controlled my system and got to work, identified the problem in mere seconds.

The solution:
    The local copper phone service sends Caller ID in one particular fashion and it does so almost immediately after the first ring. The other lines seem to send a different pattern (Unfortunately I could not grab this information), and 3CX didn't seem to like it, hence I received the nasty "This shouldn't happen" error. It is my guess that there are so many phone carriers around the globe and so many different formats, that 3CX just can't keep up with the flood. No problem, I shut off the caller ID on both systems and VOILA everything rings through now. So I don't get to see if my wife is interrupting a call from my girlfriend, but I will just have to get over that!

Here's the fix:
    On the SPA3102, look under "admin login", "advanced", "pstn line"...down near the bottom under the heading "FXO timer values", set the value for "PSTN ring through delay" to 0 (zero).

On the Patton, under "PSTN PROFILES", select each "IF_FXO_#" (separately), under "Ring Number", set the value for "Ring Bursts" to 1.

Conclusion:
    I am merely mortal with respect to this system, and so far I have muddled this far. Overall, the performance and adaptability of 3cx and the associated hardware is awesome. I hope I have helped in some small way.

4. ckueven

We are having this same Twist.

Is there a way to deal with the multiple callerid formats, instead of disabeling it?

Thanks

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In North America (Bellcore format) Caller Id has to fall within certain parameters. It would seem that some providers may be pushing the boundaries a bit, thus causing some devices to "mis-behave". There has also been concern/issues with regards to certain non-alphanumeric characters send in the name string.

Here is some info i dug up on the specs for North America CID:

Caller ID is delivered in SDMF which includes the date, time, and calling number. Calling Name Delivery (CNAM) is an enhancement of Calling Number Delivery that adds the calling name and is sent in MDMF.
    Bellcore has stated that a possible future objective may be to phase out the SDMF and use only
    the MDMF. In the event that SDMF is phased out, the name field in a MDMF message would be
    left out for customers who subscribe to number delivery only.

The CID information is sent serially at a rate of 1200 bits per second using continuous-phase
    binary frequency shift keying for modulation. The two frequencies used to represent the binary
    states are 1200 Hz for the Mark (logic 1) and 2200 Hz for the Space (logic 0). The data is sent
    asynchronously between the first and second ring at a signal level of -13.5 dBm. The level is
    measured at the central office across a 900 ohm test termination.

Following a minimum of 500 ms after the end of the first ring, the sequence of transmission
    begins with a Channel Seizure. The Channel Seizure is a string of 300 continuous bits (250 ms)
    of alternating "0"s and "1"s. This string starts with a "0" and ends with a "1". A Mark Signal of
    180 mark bits (150 ms) is sent immediately following the Channel Seizure Signal. The purpose
    of the Channel Seizure Signal and the Mark Signal is to prepare the data receiver in the
    Customer Premise Equipment (CPE) for the reception of the actual CID message.

Once the Channel Seizure and Mark Signals have been sent the CID information is then
    transmitted starting with the Least Significant Bit (LSB) of the most significant character. This is
    true for both SDMF and MDMF. Each character in the message consists of 8 bits. For
    displayable characters these bits represent a code defined by the American Standard Code for
    Information Interchange. When transmitted the character's 8 bits are preceded by a start bit
    (space) and followed by a stop bit (mark) giving a total of 10 bits sent for each character. The
    CID information is followed by a checksum for error detection.

It sounds like they should be waiting at least 500 ms before sending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.