Patton SmartNode SN4171 - anyone using this device?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by K. Evans, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K. Evans

Looking for feedback on the Patton SN4171, we are currently using the SN4970 connecting to a T1 PRI at 3 different sites but in the very near future the SN4970 will no longer be offered. We can switch to the SN4970A, the replacement, but this is more money as it can handle up to 4 PRIs but we only need one PRI connection which is why we're looking at the SN4171. However, I have heard mixed reviews about the 4171.

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @K. Evans

Please note that the SN4171 uses only trinity software which is currently not supported by 3CX so for now i would not recommend getting one. For now only devices running SmartWare software are supported.

3. K. Evans

Thank you very much for the reply. That answers my question :) Patton's Sales Group indicated that they would be phasing out the Smartware firmware and replacing it with Trinity but at this time they do not have any dates in mind. When they switch to Trinity will 3CX support it by then?

4. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

For the time being there are no immediate plans of supporting this.

5. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

If it comes to it I have templates written for the trinity devices for 3CX from Patton support.

I hope that 3CX and Patton can get these supported in the future as they are one of the best gateway brands on the market.

We had also voiced our opinion to Patton when they made the OS move that this was unwise.

There was nothing wrong with Smartware and thus no reason to change anything.

6. K. Evans

Thanks eddv, I spoke to Patton as they were ever so kind to actually call me and discuss (great customer service). SN4171 w/Trinity firmware should work with 3CX, they believe the part that is not supported is the export of the configuration file on 3CX that is then imported to their device. To do this they have a Wizard. With this in mind I would think the SN4171 gateway will work fine with 3cx.

Orders for the SN4970 will still be taken until June, then things switch over to the SN4970A which uses Trinity. Eventually all of their devices will use Trinity. I would hope and think that 3CX would prepare for this.

patton likes this.
  7. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

@K. Evans
    You are of course free to use any device you like but please note that until the Trinity software is officially supported we will not be able to assist with any issues you might face. You will need to contact Patton in the event something is not working properly.

8. patton

Patton has fully certified 3CX for interoperability with Patton SN4171 and other Gateways including the latest 3CX V.15 and SmartNode software releases.

Patton offers free support for any customer using SmartNodes with 3CX.

Templates are available from Patton to enable the 3CX platform to configure any Patton SmartNode device.

See https://www.patton.com/support/kb_art.asp?art=478&p=0

YiannisH_3CX likes this.
  9. K. Evans

Hi YiannisH, keep in mind you have customers that have no choice but to move forward as old equipment breaks, or like us, we have many new sites coming up on 3CX and we need equipment that supports our needs, such as 120 to 150 analog phones in a warehouse. I can only hope 3CX continues to move forward as well, currently what you do support is very limited.

10. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

It is worth noting that currently 3CX does not have any "3CX Supported" channel banks for the system.https://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/

I have vendor supported templates for the Patton 43xx (16,24 and 32 port variants) which work without issue but 3CX have not approved them. I also have the Mediatrix S724 channel bank templates which work with 3CX also.

The Grandstream GXW 42xx series had templates going around from Grandstream for v14 but they have not released any for v15 and above. Rumor is these maybe supported in the future.

I would really like it if 3CX approved a channel bank model as despite the demise of the PSTN (which would only really effect ISDN and possibly FXO gateways mostly) in industries such as hospitality FXS channel banks are still going to actively be used in the years to come (as most do not want to re-cable their rooms).

patton, 3CXDude and business54 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.