• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Patton SN 4114 Echo issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpontus

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 4 PSTN lines hooked up to my Patton SN 4114. When I make outgoing calls I have terrible echo that I can't get rid of. I have the echo canceler turned on under the PSTN profile but it's not doing anything. I opened a ticket with Patton and they said to adjust the input/output gain to eliminate the issue. When I do that the volume is too low for people on the other side of the conversation. Any ideas? Anything my local telco can do on their end?

Thanks!

Is it on all lines or just some?

Echo can also be caused by the condition of the phone line and distance from the central office, in some cases. many gateways have settings that deal with impedance of the phone line. changes to this setting can sometimes improve noticeable echo. If you are an office building, there may be old wiring left in that branches off of the riser pairs that also go to your office. this causes excessive capacitance and can cause echo.

Thanks for the reply. It's all of the lines. My loop to the CO is about 20,000 ft. I don't believe I can change the impedance on PSTN lines (T1/PRI only) but I will ping Patton to double check. I've also weeded out all the old wiring - it's a straight shot from the pedestal to demarc to 66 block to Patton. I made sure it's twisted pair as well from the demarc forward. I have a feeling calling the phone company will go nowhere but I will try before I give up. Maybe I will CC in the salesman to see if he can move things along to keep his commission :)

Just to be clear, is it your employees that are experiencing echo, or, the caller at the far end?

If it is your employees (and is it from every set), then depending on the type of set you are using, or headset, you may be sending a very high level. I've seen that happen with some headsets. the gain is up so high because people complain that they can't hear themselves in the earpiece (sidetone). This sends out such a high level that it overwhelms the echo suppressors.

It's the employees on every set. I have Cisco and Yealink phones that I have used with and without headsets -- all have the same issue.

It might not have been clear from the original post but I was able get the echo to go away by adjusting the gain 1 db at a time, but then the volume levels were just below a whisper. So low that turning up the phone volume didn't counter it and also callers on the other end could barely hear me.

I think I'm beat on this one. Thanks for the help!

I'm assuming that the Patton is running the latest firmware, or at least a version that is known to not have any sort of echo problems.

Sometimes taking a device back to the factory defaults, then starting from square one, can "correct" some issues.

Yup, latest firmware. Tried one recommended by Patton as well with no luck. I'll be looking to bring in a managed SIP trunk then -- I know SIP works, just need the QoS to go with it to the ISP.

There is nothing in your network (a switch?) that could be introducing enough latency that results in echo? I keep thinking that there has to be something, as that is a pretty "standard" gateway that doesn't seem to have a history of echo issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.