Pause first thing in the morning

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by KenC, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenC

It seems that every once in a while, but consistently when I have checked at about 7-9am, a call comes in, is picked up by the server or the gateway, and then there is a long pause before hearing the automated attendant. This pause is so long that anyone who doesn't expect it thinks the line is dead.

The next call to come in (although I have not tried varying delays - I've only waited minutes) is picked up and the outgoing message is played promptly.

How do I troubleshoot this situation?

I have not retested since setting the computer's power manager setting to disk off "never" from off after 5 minutes idle, so that could be the issue, but I don't think so because I have tried calling in at greater intervals than 5 minutes.

2. KenC

I should add, because it's probably related, that the outgoing message after the long long delay is choppy, poor playback. the next call gets a smooth playback.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I have seen a delay in voicemail (access/playback), if it hasn't been accessed in a day or so and I'm pretty sure that the hard drive never spins down as the activity LED is blinking on occasion.
    That said..try to capture the 3CX log when this problem occurs to see at what stage the delay is occurring, if you are still having the issue.

4. tsteffens

We also have noticed this, we just attributed it to the web server recycle that happens each day. The first prompt of the morning whether it be auto attendant, internal voicemail access, etc is always a long pause. Wish there was a simple fix for it.

5. KenC

would it help to use windows scheduler to do something, like a virus scan, after the scheduled web server recycling?

6. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

What webserver (IIS or Abyss) are you using? What version 3CX and how do calls arrive (PSTN or VoIP)?

I have been testing mine every morning for the past couple of days and have not seen the issue:
    1. V11 Release Candidate
    2. IIS
    3. VoiP
    4. My drive are slated to spin down after 30 minutes

It could be that when I have tested the drives are already up. I will make a special effort over the next couple of days to test when I know that they are idle.

7. tsteffens

This is exactly where we see it. The first user that pushes their MWI button in the morning can sometimes wait for about 30-45 seconds before hearing the lovely lady talk.

8. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

I had a similar problem with a customers installation.

The solution I came up with was to auto dial a call to the PBX at 7.00am each day to kick it back into life

The files I used are here

http://nuneaton.ath.cx/software/SIP-Dialer.zip

Extract the zip to the hard disk on the 3CX server, should end up in C:\SIP-Dialer to work.

Edit the IVM Reset.bat file with a number for one of your Digital Receptionists "SIP Numbers" and "Registered Extension" and the "Password" for that extension and the "IP Address" of your 3CX Server.

There is a sample file included as well. In the sample the batch file dials a digital receptionist at "750" from extension "200" with a password of "slpehi" on a server at "192.168.61.1"

Once you have adjusted the settings in the batch file run it and it should auto dial your PBX and then hang up. Schedule the batch file to run at what ever time is best from the Windows Task Scheduler and the PBX Should be kicked into life before anyone needs it.

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This sort of issue cropped up a few versions back. I have to assume that the original issue, and consequently, the work-around, are no longer the problem. It just seems a bit odd that it seems to have reared it's ugly head again.

http://www.3cx.com/forums/v9-very-long-delay-on-vm-response-fix-provided-16136.html

10. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

The version I looked at with this problem was 10 with SP2. From memory I did an upgrade to SP5 (the latest version at the time) without any change.

I haven't heard from the customer since putting on the auto dialer so I assume all is well now, they are not shy to complain.

11. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

A further thought, while testing a version on V11 beta I saw the same problem. Since the installation was not actually in use no calls were made for a few days and then the first call into a digital receptionist or voice mail took about 30 seconds to answer. The only difference I noticed was the caller got a system generated ringing tone on V11, in V10 there was just silence until it answered.

From what I have seen the system appears to go into sleep mode after a long period of non use, the first calls then takes ages to answer, and the audio quality is very poor. After that all is well gain. I suspect on a busy system this no problem, but for small business that have a very low call volume, or may be non over a weekend it is an issue.

Just giving the system a call to wake it up appears to have worked with the one I looked at.

12. tsteffens

Paul I really admire your neat autodialer solution and will end up using it until an official fix. I would really like to see some input from 3cx on this issue and hopefully a full fix will be included in V11.

13. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

Well it would appear there is partial fix in beta 11, you still get the delay but at least you get a ringing tone so you don't think the line is dead

14. KenC

Thanks to all.
    I've only got the one pots line so ill have to try the v 11 solution.

15. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Ken - you should be able to try the IVM_Reset tool. Simply use the internal # of the IVM. No need to call from the outside world.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. gschwab

gschwab New Member

Do a lot of people have this issue? Just wondering because mine has no pause, it's light speed even after a long weekend VOIP or Gateway doesn't matter, still no pause. 3CX V10 SP6 on a Dell optiplex XP pro w/4gi ram. Of course mine is a small installation with only 8 extensions (Yealink T20Ps and T38Gs) on a Nexvortex SIP trunk for all calls and a Grandstream gateway to PSTN used only for failover.
    Just curious....George :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. KenC

Where can I find the tool?

18. KenC

Mines on thinkpad t43p 2 ghz 2 g xp pro sp?3, w/ long pause first thing in am

19. craigreilly

http://www.3cx.com/forums/pause-first-thing-in-the-morning-29849.html#p132659

20. craigreilly

i think a thinkpad might have something to do with it...
    the hard drives are usually slower... and probably turn off to conserve power.

I have not experienced this yet on v11

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.