Pause on outbound dial to VOIP provider

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by boffin, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boffin

In these days of trying to cut cost, I'm attempting to restrict the ability to make unauthroized long distance calls. We have about 50 long distance numbers which would fall into the authroized category

I have found out that my VOIP provider offers a service, where a PIN number is required to make long distance calls.

I thought that I would create a "speed dial" list of extension numbers by using extension numbers and forwarding rules. These would be the only long distance numbers that could be called, except by management. The flaw in my idea is that I would then need to append to each of these numbers a 2 second pause before passing the "hidden" PIN number which my VOIP provider. This is where I have come unstuck.

How to create this pause in the dialling sequence - similar to the comma, comma, comma, used in old analog modem dialing strings?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Since VoIP dialling is sent in "packets" how would placing calls from an ATA to the VoIP provider be different from calling from 3CX?
    You dial the LD number, number is sent to LD provider, you get a tone? You enter DTMF PIN? I assume?

Dialling from 3CX should work the same way, number is sent to provider but won't go through until PIN is sent. caller would enter a PIN when they hear the tone.

This would assume that each caller has their own individual PIN for accounting / tracking purposes.

You could see if your VoIP provider will accept a called number that has the PIN tacked onto the end or beginning. Then you could send the whole thing and they would strip off the PIN from the valid telephone number.

3. boffin

Maybe I did not explain myself too well.

Our VOIP provider has an optional service with using PIN numbers to restrict log distance calls. When this is turned on, when you dial the outgoing number, and get a voice prompt back "enter your PIN number" . If this is not entered, then the call is not completed.

I thought that I would create a "speed dial" list of allowed external numbers by using 3cx extension numbers and the use of "forwarding rules" to "External number". I would then imbed the PIN number in the number dialed - however there needs to be a pause of about 2 seconds between when the number is dialed, and when the PIN number is delivered - to allow for the voice prompt back from the VOIP provider.

My question is, how can I configure what is effectively a "two stage dial" - i.e. dial part of the number - the pause - then dial the rest of the number

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are unable to get the 3CX to insert a pause, which i have a feeling will be the case. And since you are only using, what sounds like one PIN for everyone anyway... I assume that the PIN is so that callers can't dial just any random LD number. Why don't you make access to LD calls require something like (I'll use a North American example) 8566712025551212, in the dialplan you would strip off the 85667 and send the remaining digits out to the LD provider. Since these numbers are stored in speed call no one would know the prefix digits and would not be able to dial any other LD number (unless they knew to dial 85667 in front of the number).
    In your dialplan you could allow 1800, 1866 etc. , or any other authorized LD numbers. It's like a PIN but has to be dialed first, you could even create a different prefix for each user. that would require lots of work building the dialplans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.