PBX Delivers Audio vs Reinvite vs Replace

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Bob Denny, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Denny

Bob Denny New Member

I'm not a SIP expert, nor to I want to become one (though I have had to learn a lot, including packet traces with Netmon 3). What I want to know is "under what conditions will the PBX get involved in relaying the audio?" I know it will if "PBX Delivers Audio" is set for an extension or a VOIP Provider. But I suspect that Replace and Re-Invite support for the VOIP provider affects the PBX's choice of audio delivery (direct or via PBX). I don't know what Replace or Re-Invite are so ...

My reason for wanting to know this is that I have some softphones as extensions and they are capable of making direct SIP calls. It seems that the PBX doesn't get involved in these, or does it. All of my systems are on public IPs, no nasty "beast from hell" NAT routers.

So this isn't a very clear request for help... and I apologize in advance. I just want to understand how the PBX treats the audio for calls from extensions addressed to SIP endpoints (which themselves may be extensions on other PBXs).

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Good question!

Very short answer is - calls to voip providers, external extensions are done with the PBX delivering audio. All internall calls and calls to gateways not.

Long answer is here:
    http://wiki.3cx.com/documentation/architecture/media-server

Hope this helps!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bob Denny

Bob Denny New Member

Thanks, I missed that Wiki article. It is quite useful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.