• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved PBX Edition SIP Trunk Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebocop

Reaction score
Hi,
I am running PBX Edition on AWS.

I understand the "8 simultaneous call" limitation.

Does the "1" SIP trunk limitation mean that a single SIP trunk registration can only support a single simultaneous call at this licensing level? We have a single SIP provider, but we have 8 "channels" available to us on that single trunk; does PBX edition support using those 8 channels?

Thank you.

Yes, the provider limits the simultaneous channels, not 3CX. You can use the single trunk for multiple channels and / or multiple numbers.

Thank you Fred.

Do you know, does this extend to "DID" number as well? If my single SIP trunk has 8 channels, and has 8 DIDs associated with it, will the PBX Edition license still work?

I ask because I have attempted just that, and my trunk provider is telling me that calls to any but the FIRST DID number are replied-to with "407 Proxy Authentication Required".

What the.

You should be able to route all of the provider DID's into your trunk by routing the numbers from the provider interface, however they would all ring on the same incoming single DID in 3CX PBX edition . You would not know which number the call was coming from as they would all come through the single incoming provider login DID. If you move up to even the 4 SC version, you will have unlimited 3CX DID's / "Trunks" and you can create virtual extensions in your provider system, which will allow each number a separate 3CX incoming DID that can be routed to any phone, phone extension or virtual attendant system you need.

The single incoming DID is the real limitation of the free PBX edition. The only other option, if your provider allows, is to not pass the caller ID through to 3CX but to instead pass the caller ID of the number called (one of your provider DID's) into 3CX. You could then use caller ID rules to route to a specific extension BUT you would not know who is calling because every call coming through that number would show the same caller ID number.

Thank you very much!

The SIP trunk provider had said the same thing, but I didn't believe them.

We'll opt to lose caller-id in favour of being able to route until we upgrade to a paid 3cx license next fiscal.

Thanks again.

Actually that is not accurate. You can only create one sip trunk on the free version but you can have multiple DID's under that trunk. For those DID's you can create separate inbound rules. Name those inbound rules with the number of the DID and you will know what number has been called. The issue you are having with the 407 proxy authentication required in related to source identification.
That means that the numbers you have added as DID's does not match the number the provider is sending. Try the following and see if that works for you:
Edit you DIDs and replace the first few numbers with a *. Example: If DID is 00123456789 replace i with *23456789.
Then create an inbound rule and try again.
It is always recommended to use a supported provider .

Perfect, thank you. Using the wildcard notation has resolved this issue. We can now successfully use multiple channels with multiple DIDs on a sin SIP Trunk using the free license.

Glad to heat the issue is resolved :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.