PBX Express , AWS, Auto Provisioning.

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Paul Fouche, Nov 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Fouche

Hi All,

I have spun up a 3cx instance via the pbxexpress, However I cannot auto provision.

I have been searching through the forums here and the 3cx recommendations but I cannot find anything about it.

Can anyone give me some advice?
    Is it possible to auto provision phones ( supported) via AWS?
    Do you require an SBC?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Paul

2. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

sure you can Paul,

If 3CX is in the cloud or not does not matter. If you like to use an 3CX SBC or not depends on the phones in the same remote network. If you have one, no, if you have more then 3, maybe, if you have more then 5 for sure (<- is my personal golden rule and not engraved in stone by 3CX).

Refer to the phone provisioning guide(s) for your phone how to do it. But for sure a phone MUST be provisioned!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Paul Fouche

I don't think you understood... I know a phone must be provisioned.

With AWS Do i provision with Stun or local network.. IF STUN then i know we need an SBC
    Managed to get it working with local network using the DNS as the network interface but had to use TCP

Now the problem i am facing is that the CTI mode is not working with said phone... or atleast not correctly.. i can ring and answer but when i hang up on my side the phone call just keeps running.

So what would the point be of going AWS if you need an SBC anyway?

Cheers
    Paul

4. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

There are 3 supported ways to provision a phone. The first is local Lan and since your installation is hosted the only way to do this is by setting up a vpn tunnel.

Then there is STUN which means that the phone is remote and the connection is established directly without and SBC. You have to assign a unique sip port and unique rtp ports to each phone. You can auto provision these phones through RPS given that your phones are fully supported. This method requires firewall configuration at the remote site
    https://www.3cx.com/3cxacademy/videos/intermediate/configuring-remote-extensions/

The last method is provisioning through an SBC. This method required a device in the remote location that connects to the server. Your phones connect to the SBC. You can auto provision these devices also. When the SBC is connected to the PBX and a phone is plugged in to the remote network then a PnP request is sent to the PBX and the phone appears as new under the phones section. For this to apply the phone must be factory reset and multicast should be working on your remote network.
    https://www.3cx.com/3cxacademy/videos/intermediate/remote-extensions-sbc/

Phones provisioned with STUN cannot work with CTI with the 3CX client. You will need to use the web client for such configuration ans a supported device.
    https://www.3cx.com/3cxacademy/videos/intermediate/configuring-remote-extensions/

5. Paul Fouche

Neither of you understand what I am trying to say here.

I KNOW HOW TO PROVISION PHONES.
    Done plenty of them.

"So what would the point be of going AWS if you need an SBC anyway?"

1. It actually adds one more point of failure.
    2. Stun (Max 5 connections) - Pointless
    So my Question Again was.... I managed to get the phone provision using the DNS entry as the interface.
    However when using the Webclient :

I Can :
    • Answer Calls
    • Make Calls
    • Hear person clearly
    • And do Transfers
    I Cannot :
    • Hang up Call - Once i hang up the call just goes on and on and on and on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.