• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

PBX Status and Forwarded Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

qNotes

Reaction score
My system uses only extensions with forwarding to external numbers on each. A call comes in, goes to a Ring Group (strategy HUNT) that includes these extensions. The inbound call does get redirected out just fine. The problem is that the second inbound call also goes out to the 1st extension in the list as well even though it already has a call connected to the 1st extention. I have the forwarding rules in each extention to use pbx status. So if the extension is "busy" on a connected call, how can it "receive another call? something i have set wrong most likely, any help would be appriciated.
Thanks

The problem is that the extension is not busy when the second call comes in because the first call was forwarded away from the extension to the external number. This leaves the extension open to another call and thus the external number will be called again.

It probably would be a good idea for 3CX to maintain extension status until the call to the external number was terminated.

Thanks Kerry, pretty much confirms what i had thought i have found out. i noticed while using 3cx phones on on those extension the system does recognize them busy and the hunt group works. I do see that the system status shows the inbound and the outbound legs so it seems that the system should know that the extension should be held in a busy status.
Unfortuanly for me, as much as I like the software, unless i can figure a workaround i am not sure it will work for me.
Any ideas?
Full app would have 5-10 external users, All users would be connected via external # dialouts to landlines or cell phones. but to start only 2 may be in the hunt group at any time. Others may be able to get calls via DR Call Menu. All incoming/outgoing would be via a voip provider, i am testing with callcentric now.

I dont have a workaround myself, hopefully someone else can come up with one. This is actually a common problem with other systems as well when external numbers are involved.

There actually is a Workaround for this.

Settings > Advanced > Custom Parameters: ALLOWBUSYOPTFORRGROUP
Set to 1

Go to the Extensions you want to use and set them to Phone Status.

Done.

I tried that, the problem i find is that is the forwared #'s have call waiting and/or Voice mail you dont get a busy.
I was wondering if instead of using voip for outbound, if i used a couple of pots lines instead. Am I correct in assuming that the system would see those ports as being in use? and any suggestions in what card to use if any? My preference would be to use VOIP for cost reasons, but i will try any suggestions you may have.

Thanks for the help...
Also with the SDK you have is there maybe some way I can "Patch" this myself to get it to work?

after reading your reply abit closer, i had orig read it that the phone status and the custom flag were basically the same thing, i am sure you say they should be used together. I will try this and learn to read closer...
thanks

I tried both the custom flag and the phone status (at the same time - rebooted processor to be sure). same thing it still rings the 1st ext forwards the call externally. i then dial inbound again it rings out the 1st extension again forwards out to its external # which then gets callwaiting on that line and goes to voice mail. It still wont roll to 2nd ext in group.
any other ideas?

Ah, this could be an issue, i only just realised what exactly you are trying to do.
I'll test it tomorrow and see if something can be done about it.

It's gonna take some discussion because of how the ring groups should behave in these situations but i believe that something can be done about it. I'll let you know.

Thanks, I do appriciate the help. I was wondering. if the softphone had a forwarding feature, wouldnt that lock the port and do what i need? i could have the softphone on each users pc set to forward always to their landline or cellphone if they wanted it to. This way the extension would be busied out and the group function work better. Just wondering...

any updates/thoughts on this?

Yeah sorry for the late response,

I checked into this and this is the intended behavior because it's called "Prioritized Hunt".
It means all calls should go to the first number in the Ring Group, and because there's a forwarding rule, they would ALL get forwarded to the Cell Phone. Some people want Ring groups to have this kind of Call Routing that the Ring group currently has, while others want what you are trying to do.

As Kerry said at the beggining suggest you set your phones to PBX Status if you want to achieve what you want to do.
Can you re-state why this doesn't work for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.