Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

People can't hear me when they call

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by spencer11, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spencer11

Hi everyone,

I am having a really strange issue. We have a 3cx phone system set up in a remote location. It is version 10. I have the Cisco SPA 525G phone.

When I call someone they can hear me and I can hear them.
    When someone calls in they can't hear me and I can still hear them.

I have tried deleting the extension and re adding it.
    I have reset the phone to factory settings and re configured it.
    I am still having the same issue.

And the weird thing is that I have had this phone for about 3 months and have not had had any issues..

Can anyone point me in the right direction on what to try?

Thank you

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Be sure that you have STUN set to work on the phone. This is almost a necessity on a remote phone behind a router. Has anyone been doing any port forwarding (other changes/new router?)on the remote router, that might interfere with the voice packets.

3. msymmes

Sorry. I can't help you but I have the exact same problem when a remote extension calls me while using the 3CX softphone. I can hear him but he cannot hear me. This is a brand new installation with the DEMO license key. We have set the 3CX softphone (under windows) to use the 3CX tunnel. My system passed the firewall tests so I am still investigating.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

These are typical NAT/firewall problems. As Leejor mentioned you need to have STUN configured and operating correctly for remote extensions. Some SIP ALG enabled routers may interfere and cause problems (try disabling SIP ALG, if applicable). In all cases you may run Wireshark™ to capture the traffic and analyze the issue. Make also sure you configured your phones strictly according the guidelines, as well as the firewall checker at 3CX server site returned exit code = 0.

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. msymmes

I just tried disabling STUN altogether as per instructions on a 3CX hot article found on the 3CX blog. No change in behaviour. And the remote phone is a 3CX softphone with the tunneling enabled. This remote phone is located on the University of Queens campus. They don't block to much stuff but hard to tell.

Thanks for the help.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Using the tunnel usually "corrects" most issues that crop up as only a single port is used for both signalling and voice. If one works, you can place or receive a call, the the other (voice) should have no problem getting through.

Have you tried this on more than one install? Sometime it it a PC hardware issue. You can confirm using a second machine if feasible.

7. msymmes

I was thinking about having the remote user disable his Windows 7 firewall just in case the 3CX Phone client installer did not open the proper ports in Windows. I will try another PC at another remote location. Interestingly, my Android 3CX phone app is working. Or is it. I better triple check that I am getting 2 way audio with it.
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.