Per Call Outbound CallerID

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by heymann, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heymann

I'm trying to duplicate a feature that Vonage Business has, so I can move some of my customers to 3cx. Is there any way to implement a per call outbound callerID selection? What I mean is:

Say we have 3 phone numbers, in 3 different parts of the country:

1. 18005551212
    2. 18005551213
    3. 18005551214

When a call is placed, we want to have the user prefix the called number with a code, indicating which caller ID number to use:

2**12021234567 would imply using the second number (18005551213) as the caller ID for the call to 12021234567.
    3**14157654321 would imply using the third number (18005551214) as the caller ID for the call to 14157654321.

Is this possible?

I was thinking about having multiple entries of the outbound SIP provider, all the same except for the caller ID. Then, have outbound rules to select each possibility, and route it to the "correct" SIP provider. However, we have about 50 possible numbers, so that is a lot of work. And, if they ever need to change it, it is a lot of work then, as well.

Are there any other suggestions?

Thank you all.

Jeremy Heymann
    Jeremy@pooka.com

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You can specify outbound Caller ID at the trunk level, or the extension level. If you do it at the trunk level then by using outbound rules you can determine which trunk group the call takes, and what Caller Id is presented.

You seem to have already come to this conclusion.

Unfortunately, in your case, given the number of trunks, this will require some work.

3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I would love to see caller ID on the Outbound rules - especially for 911.

I have 80 DID's - but have to set everyone's outbound caller id to the main number that has e911 or pay for e911 on every single DID.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. positron

Here's how to fix the 911 outbound caller ID issue:

Under Settings, Emergency Numbers, add an entry for 9911.
    Under Outbound rules, edit the Emergency Number 9911 entry to select the correct trunk and strip 1 digit.

Create a dummy extension with any valid number in the dialing plan not likely to be dialed (e.g. 599). Add the following to the dummy extension configuration:
    - Under General, add Mobile Number as 9911
    - Under forwarding rules, set Available/Phone is Busy rule to "Send Call to Mobile Number"
    - Under Other, set the outbound caller ID to the BTN or number registered with 911
    - Under Other, set the SIP ID to 911

Now all calls to 911 will use the outbound caller ID for the dummy extension.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. craigreilly

Yes - another 3cx workaround... :)

I also have some remote extensions (on an island) that I have 911 blocked for their calling group. They need to use their mobile phone for 911. If they were to dial 911 (the SIP ID) and now the call is coming from that extensions group - then the island could call 911. I do not want that. Am I right?

6. positron

Yes, I think that's right. Outbound call routes and restrictions are only checked after the dialed number is not matched to the internal directory. Since 911 as a SIP ID would be processed as internal, I think it would be dialable without restriction. Any restrictions in the outbound calling routes would apply to the extension with the SIP ID assigned.

Maybe you have some options in the IP phone config to reroute or block 911 at the phone.

7. craigreilly

The phone is certainly a place to start... but because they are remote via tunnel - its not so easy,.. and they are 4 timezones away :)

8. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Craig, to block 911 on a specific phone or group of phones deploy a modified dial string via the phone template banning 911 just like the 1900 numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.