Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Persistent audio conferences

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by brian-le, Nov 29, 2017.

Persistent audio conferences 5 5 4votes
5/5, 4 votes

1. brian-le

With all the unpopular changes with audio conferencing in SP2, I'd make the suggestion of adding persistent conference rooms. That could be something that an administrator can configure in the management console and then share the details with approved users. Some of our users pay for a third party service that works like this. They just email the conference room ID, PIN and call in number to the participants. They reuse the same details over and over so there is no need to open additional clients, icals, etc.

If the administrator creates a handful of room IDs, they can just share the ID, organizer PIN and optional participant PIN to the organizer and the organizer shares the info with who ever they want. It would basically work like the personal webmeeting URL does. You could take it a step further and (optionally) enable this function for all extensions just like Click to Meet. Then all the info could be included in the welcome email and on the webclient tab for conferencing. I understand that the webmeeting could be used similarly right now but users don't like (and so won't use) webconferencing for audio only conference. In fact, I get a lot of push back because webconferences don't have a call in number like GoToMeeting or other services.

2. Tushar Jain

HI Brian,

Do you got any work around for the persistent chat

I recently deployed the 3cx and was earlier using Asterisk

User not ready to create a conference room when ever they set up a meeting, specially if the meeting is on weekly basis

Regards
    Tushar

Chris Chunsi likes this.
  3. Chris Chunsi

We are also just moving from an Asterisk based system and the omission of fixed conference rooms which are used on a regular weekly basis seems crazy. The other big issue with scheduling the conferences through the client is that the person creating the conference does not receive declines as the invites come from a 3cx service account.

There are many, many posts and replies on this subject, so come on 3cx.... let's do something about it!!!

Cheers, Chris.

4. brian-le

I think they sort of implemented this for ad-hoc conferences.

I'm on 15.5 update 6 currently and anyone can create a conference by calling the conference extension and using any random conference ID. If the ID isn't in use, a new conference will be created. Even a single digit conference ID is allowed.

There are few issues though.

It is ad-hoc, so you can't send the ID to the other parties in advance. Well you can decide on an ID and send it but there is a possibility of another person already using the ID. Especially since users won't realize that they can create there own and may try to reuse an ID that someone else sent them.​

There's no security. There is the system wide PIN but that is for all conferences and I haven't found a way to create conference/PIN combinations. So once the PIN is known everyone can jump into any conference. This also means that it is possible for an external caller to create an ad-hoc conference. All they need to do is call a DID that routes to the conference extension (or a digital receptionist that they can enter the conference extension).​

Ad-hoc conferences made in this manner aren't linked to an extension so can't be managed from the web client. If a caller joins a conference already in progress and doesn't announce theirself, the system doesn't announce that a caller has joined, so the organizer has no idea who is in the conference room and the late caller and listen in.​

I'd prefer that each extension be, optionally, assigned a unique conference ID and access PIN. It would address all of the above short comings.

At least, a separate and unique conference PIN should be assigned to each extension and the PIN is required to create a new ad-hoc conference. That would at least prevent external callers from using your conference system. And would link the conference to the extension so web client could manage the conference.