Phone authentication problems

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by andyrennison, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyrennison

Hi, I am a complete newbie !

I have set up a 3cx phone system on a remote server, and am using the 3cx soft phone to connect.

I can only connect the extensions if I do not specify a password. Without a password I can connect, and make inter-extension calls fine.

If I use a password, the client will not connect, I get an error, "Authentication failed" - I am being very careful to get the passwords right at both ends

I am using a fixed IP at the server, and I think all required ports are open. Using the Cassini server

I have tried with and withoiut STUN with the same effect.

This looks like a simple user error, but im stumped, Ive inclused some lines from the server log file that look relevant

Thanks all

Andy

00:54:39.054 [CM102001]: Authentication failed for SipReq: REGISTER 192.168.127.58:5060 tid=7f317b10d025e52b cseq=REGISTER contact=101@84.21.129.17:3252 / 2 from(wire); Reason: Credentials don't match, check that authorization-ID and password match the ones in extension settings

00:54:34.617 [CM102001]: Authentication failed for SipReq: REGISTER 192.168.127.58:5060 tid=1935135f6e330702 cseq=REGISTER contact=101@84.21.129.17:3249 / 4 from(wire); Reason: Credentials don't match, check that authorization-ID and password match the ones in extension settings

2. bluetel2

bluetel2 Member

hi,

and welcome to 3cx forum.

maybe stupid question but, do you have try to change the password in 3cx system administration extension ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Does it work if you try the tunnel option? How about a simple numeric password like "123"

4. andyrennison

Hi Both

I changed the password in the admin section, I have tried all sorts of combinations such as 111 and 101 - all with the same results

If I leave the password field blank in admin then I can connect, even if I put a password in the client side !!

I have tried the tunnel. The tunnel connects, but then I get a 408 error

Most of our staff work form home, so I need this to work well. We intended to buy them decent IP phones, but im getting a bit jittery now about this project.

It must be something dumb I am doing, but I cant see what for the life of me, and ive been in It for near 30 years !

Thanks for the comments, any other advice greatfully received

5. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

To be honest i remember an issue like this...

What was happening is that in some rare cases the Voip Engine would Garble the Authentication data and the connection to the server could not be made.
    Before we simply say that this is indeed the problem i'd suggest you try connecting to the PBX with something like Xlite or Eyebeam just to make sure.

As i remember the issue with the Garbling was fixed afterwards in the Version 4 Voip Phone... You can also try that if you like.
    But in the end it could be just that you are indeed using incorrect Authentication Data :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

Delete the extension and re-add it. Make sure you are using the correct credentials.

7. andyrennison

Hi All

Ok, I tried using x-lite - Authentication fails

I tried using 3cx soft phone verion 4 - Authentication fails

I deleted the extension and re-created it - Authentication fails

Used the firewall checker, all passes ok

So, maybe the wrong credentials?? I am putting a password of 111 into the field marked password on the extension general tab ( in the authentication groupbox) , and the username is 101 in that same groupbox. I think I am doing this correctly, as I can authenticate if I run the client on the server directly.

I am using the free version of 3cx which reports [CM501002]: Version: 7.1.7060.0 in the log.

If I try to use the tunnel, and look at the debug window, I get this ...

Tunnel got as listening port 2770
    Tunnel got as local SIP port 2771
    Phone got as local port 2772
    RTP engine OK
    SIP engine OK
    Sound mic device OK
    Sound ring device OK
    Sound play device OK
    Tunnel required cfg file:C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Local Settings\Application Data\3CX VoIP Phone\3CxVoipPhone.ini
    Tunnel logfile output:C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Local Settings\Application Data\3CX VoIP Phone\Logs
    Tunnel logging: off
    Tunnel connection created OK
    Attempting to start the tunnel
    Tunnel started
    Tunnel is attempting to connect remote end
    Tunnel connection established
    Tunnel send from phone to PBX: REGISTER
    Tunnel received from PBX status 408

Any other Ideas??

Cheers

Andy

8. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

I think there is a possibility you may have corrupted your 3CX install. Can you uninstall 3CX, reboot the machine. And attempt to reinstall.

9. andyrennison

Ok, I uninstalled, re-booted, re-installed. Accepted all default settings

Exactly the same issue as before.

Baffling !

Andy

10. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

What OS is this running on?

11. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi
    "official description" for 408 is "Request Timeout: Couldn't find the user in time".
    Therefore - according also with 3CXPhone logfile provided above - it seems that there is not authentication issue (which usually gets 403 or 404) nor ports (since tunnel connection is established and got an answer). So, for me it seems to be related with the "Most of our staff work form home" - internet connection. You said "I can authenticate if I run the client on the server directly." - that means in this case the phone running on the same machine/intranet as PBX runs? Or it means no tunnel involved?
    In any case, it would be very useful to set your PBX in verbose debug mode and to provide us the logfile.

Regards
    vali

12. andyrennison

Hi

As I am evaluating, there is only me and a remote server. I have 2 internet connections, and get this on both when trying to authenticate to the server.

If I run a softphone on the server - non tunnel , I can authenticate ok with a password. Running the same softphone set-up remotely failes to authenticate with a 403.

Trying the tunnel remotely get a 408, so That is a new issue maybe?

I am most interested in solving the non-tunnel 403 issue, as we want to provide our staff with IP phones.

I have now uninstalled the server, I will try again in a few days, if anyone has ever seen this in any form and either fixed it or gave up, i really would like to know. When I do the re-install i will get a verobse log.

As the authentication works locally, could this be a firewall issue??

Thanks everyone

Andy

13. andyrennison

Oh, Server is w2003 R2 - clients are all windows XP

14. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi

I guess only once before I've met a similar issue (If I properly understand your tests described above). :roll:

Since you said that - remotely - also x-Lite fails, please try the following:
    do your tests remotely, but WITHOUT tunnel. Try both xLite and 3CXPhone. Be sure that, for the 3CXPhone, you specify the PBX in the "I am out of the office" field.

NOW, THE MOST IMPORTANT for our test:
    - if you had specified the PBX address as IP, then change it and specify it by NAME
    - if you had specified the PBX address as NAME, then change it and specify it by IP.
    To be more clear: if your PBX is andyrennison.com and has IP 213.80.25.111, if you specified PBX as andyrennison.com, replace it with 213.80.25.111. If you specified as 213.80.25.111, then replace it with andyrennison.com.

If you know the PBX name (andyrennison.com) but you don't know IP, then at a command prompt type "ping andyrennison.com" and you will get the IP.
    If yow the IP (213.80.25.111) but you don't know the name, then at a command prompt type "tracert 213.80.25.111" and you will get the name.

Good luck
    vali

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.