Phone nodes extension display behavior.

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bbaker73, Apr 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbaker73

bbaker73 New Member

I spent a little time today trying to understand what extensions/info shows in Phones node. As I have a client that is mostly softphones now I wanted a better understanding. I knew something was wonky viewing my own phones node, as some CTI clients didn't show. All extensions are remote, not local to server LAN. After testing, and hopefully this helps someone, here's what I found.

Client for Android/Iphone shows extension as Phone for Android/Iphone with loopback IP 127.0.0.1, why not public IP?
    It also shows a second time as Windows client CTI but with firmware prefaced with "3CXPhone for.." and it's IP IS the cellular, or, if on WIFI local lan, public IP.

Does not show on Phones node if 3CX is not in focus (not registered) on smartphone, but Extensions node/presence will still show green since it is push. PBX has no way of knowing if a Push extension is online or not. This could matter in the case of smartphone client extension being logged into a queue and then losing service. PBX will continue to poll the extension according to the queue settings as it is Push and assumes it is available. In short, push extensions will always show as registered in the PBX.

Windows desktop client in softphone mode shows ext as Phone for Windows with local lan IP. It is remote so why not public IP?
    It also shows a second time as Windows client CTI and it's IP is the public IP.

This part really threw a wrench in figuring it out. I run Android client on WIFI on remote LAN, desktop client CTI mode on same remote LAN, a Yealink deskphone on the same remote LAN and a remote desktop session with desktop CTI mode on a different remote network. With the Yealink deskphone on, none of the remote LAN Windows client CTI listings show up except the Windows client CTI that is on the other remote LAN. The deskphone listing knocks off all the CTI listings for this extension if they are on the same LAN as it. I don't run softphone mode on the desktop client, but I did test it and it's accompanying CTI listing also does not show when the Yealink on the same remote LAN is online.

I duplicated with another extension on this LAN and same results. With it's Yealink desktop phone on, it's CTI listing does not show in the Phones node.

Not sure why this behavior with displaying local, loopback instead of public IP's and deskphone knocking off CTI listings, but at least I understand what the Phones node is displaying now.

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

My "node" is showing Deskphones and Windows Softphones. No Smartphones.
    I know my remote Deskphones are hsowing Public IP of remote end. They are programmed using STUN.

Is anything not working?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bbaker73

bbaker73 New Member

Thanks Craig. Everything is working, just making sense of what is displayed in phones node for future reference.

craigreilly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.