• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Phone number blacklist

faria

Customer
Intermediate Cert.
Reaction score
We're getting so many spam calls the last couple months that it's really interfering with us running our business. To the point where I have literately created inbound rules to drop certain area codes and exchanges that keep calling with random numbers. This is obviously not a good long term solution but it did work since we really only do local business.

It would be nice to be able to blacklist a phone number right from the call history on the webclient, web admin pages or 3cx apps. Right now, we have to copy the number, change pages and add it to the blacklist. This can only be done by admins. I know they change numbers frequently but we do see these same numbers repeat throughout the day so blacklisting does help.

Also, being able to tie into a crowdsourced blacklist database would be helpful. I know this has been discussed before but I have it on my cell and it does work. Even if it blocks a couple calls a day it would be helpful to keep the lines open.

Upvote 4
So I hope 3CX doesn't spend any time on this. This ultimately is a problem your provider needs to solve (all providers really). We offer Nomorobo for Business on our SIP trunks, and with STIR/SHAKEN starting to be adopted this shouldn't be much of an issue anymore. Once that is implemented it will eliminate call spoofing which is the primary source of call spam.

If this feature was implemented you would then need a toggle to limit which users can blacklist or else you'd have end users randomly blacklisting numbers and then you'd be spending time to figure out why folks can't reach you. It's time unnecessarily spent on to facilitate dealing with an issue that is going to resolve itself.

In the UK there seems to be no regulation of SIP providers, some of whom are very relaxed about what (CLI) number is presented. This is facilitating caller ID spoofing and general spam calling which has resulted in the massive levels of phone fraud we are all seeing.
Ofcom say they are working on STIR/SHAKEN but have been saying this since 2017, so until they implement it I cannot see the situation changing. At the very least they should compel the SIP providers to perform due diligence checks on new clients (as do the vast majority of other countries).

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.