Phone number not transferring to extension

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jwnesbitt, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwnesbitt

hello, i have a similar issue, so thought best to add to this thread, rather than create a new one

Just set up a clean install of 3CX and upgraded to v11 at the same time, to see if that was maybe my problem, but the issue is still there:

On new server, I have an extension - 222, this is a used by a client who has a mobile Sim card, so he can pick up calls on his mobile when away from the office (effectively, a secondary landline number rings on the mobile)

So, what happens

I call his normal office number, the IVR picks up the call, gives options, when you select the correct option, it diverts to ext 222, if the call is not answered, the extension is set to divert to a landline number. if extension 222 answers, then the incoming phone number is displayed, if i set to divert on "no answer" to another extension, the incoming number shows, but if i divert to another landline or mobile, then it just shows as "private number". At this point, it stops sending the incoming phone number

I tried to use in the IVR to send to number instead of extension, but that does not show as being an option

any help or insight into what I am doing wrong appreciated

Jody

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

A little confusing, so let me see if I can clarify -

a call comes in from 123 and is diverted to extension 222 via the digital recptionist:

123 displays correctly while ringing at 222 and if answered also shows 123.

123 also shows correctly when a forwarding rule is invoked that involves another internal extension

123 DOES NOT SHOW when a forwarding rule is invoked that involves an external number.

In the last scenarion you indicate what I perceive might be two different routes as you indicate landline and then a SIM card. In the first case I am thinking a PSTN gateway may be used and in the case of the SIM card use, a GSM gateway. The devices used play a role in how the call reaches its destination and what info is passed (or not). Also carriers may play a part as well.

It is likely not a case where 3CX is not providing the number, but either the Gateway device is incapable of passing or, in the case of PSTN, the carrier will not allow the line upon which the call from the 3CX system being used to make the second outbound call to effectively change what is that outbound line's number.

So, more detail about the devices and how routed is needed.

3. jwnesbitt

"In the last scenarion you indicate what I perceive might be two different routes as you indicate landline and then a SIM card. In the first case I am thinking a PSTN gateway may be used and in the case of the SIM card use, a GSM gateway. The devices used play a role in how the call reaches its destination and what info is passed (or not). Also carriers may play a part as well. "

Hi
    its a landline number, but attached to a GSM Sim card, so ringnig the landline number actualls ring the mobile phone, due to where he works, using an VoIP mobile app is not an option because of 3G coverage, so this was the one solution I found that worked

calling the Sim number direct does show the incoming number

hope that helps

Jody

4. lneblett

So again, what device is in use to call the sim or landline number?

On the surface, it does not sound like a 3CX issue but more of a carrier issue. If I go mobile, there is no issue, but if I go via landline, the display does not show the originating caller-id. As 3cx has no way to understand the difference from one carrier to the next, I have to assume the caller-id is indeed being passed, but the landline carrier is using the caller-id (if one is associated) of the line which is being used by 3cx to make/forward the call.

To me, there are two possible scenarios:
    1. The landline being used to forward is not subscribed to caller-id out
    2. The carrier does not allow substitution of originating caller-id. Keep in mind that the carrier has no idea that this is a forwarded call as the switching is not done by them. They normally will not allow this to occur (at least in the US) so as to prevent telemarketers and others from spoofing their ID' so as to hide behind a number that no longer reflects their true number and therefore identity.

You area/country may be completely different, but I suggest you contact the carrier, explain the scenario and see what they may be able to offer.

5. jwnesbitt

hi

thanks for your reply

I got it working

in the setup of the extension, where it asks for the clients mobile number, i put the mobile sim card number, and in the settings, changed it to "divert to my mobile" if the call is not answered

Now, when the mobile sim rings, the number shows up

Jody

6. lneblett

Glad you have it working. Yes, that scenario should work, but I guess I missed what you were actually trying to accomplish which apparently was nothing more than a forward to mobile. I kept wondering about why the landline and how the calls were being directed to either or, but I assumed you wanted/needed the option.

In any event, a working system is all that matters...so enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.