• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved Phone provisioning does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dezso Sajer

Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to set up a system for our company, but the phones are not listed on the management console, and DHCP option66 nor manual provisioning work.
We have a 3CX Pro V15 installed on a virtual Windows 10 Pro machine.
The DHCP server is a Windows Small Buseiness Server
The phone I am trying to provision is Yealink T21P E2.
I can open the webserver of the phone from the Windows10 server, so the connection looks fine, I can ping it as well.
I tried to copy the provisioning link into the webserver appropriate field, but did not help.
I also tried to add Otion66 into the DHCP, but no results.
The phone and extension is set up in the 3CX system. The phone is on my desk, connecting to the same switch as my laptop, and the 3CX client on my laptop is provisioned and working fine.
I've tried so many things, but am stuck now.
Thanks for any help in advance.

This may seem a silly question, but you have checked the "Enable" box from the drop down menu on the account screen in the Yealink GUI ?

I had a similar issue with a Yealink phone but managed to manually configure it for testing purposes.

No, it was not enabled.
I now enabled it, but that does not to seem to work neither.
How should I know the password and username for the account? Are they coming from the Authentication field?
I also have a Cisco SPA514G, acting exactly the same.

The username and password is the Extension number and Password generated in 3CX.

Make sure that there are no other settings in the config fields. If the phone has been used before it may be worth factory resetting it.

On the Yealink GUI, go to account 1, ensure it is enabled.
Register Name: Extension Number
User Name: Extension Number
Password: As generated in 3CX
Sip Server 1: Your internal Ip address of the 3CX server or the FQDN

Dont forget to press CONFIRM at the bottom.

Leave everything else. The default settings should be enough for you to get it to register with the server and try it out.

What version of firmware is the Yealink on?

Older firmware won't provision using an https link as they don't trust the 3CX v15 SSL certificate, so you should probably upgrade the Yealink firmware manually first. The 3CX recommended firmware is 52.81.0.61 but i generally find anything above x.80.x.x is OK. I know your handsets are local LAN so won't use the SSL provisioning but there could be other issues with using old firmware.

(This bit may help someone else)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can cheat by logging onto the phone web UI and going to security > Trusted Certificates > Set "Only Accept Trusted Certificates" to disabled and then reboot.

The phone will then provision and you can then upgrade the firmware through the 3CX management console (You can do multiple phones all at once which saves a lot of time)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Failing that, check your 3CX FQDN/Hostname resolves correctly from your laptop as it should resolve to the LAN IP of your 3CX server. If it doesn't, you need to create a DNS zone on your SBS that resolves your FQDN to your 3CX LAN IP.

The softphone may be working because it's going out of your firewall to the internet and back in, as it's resolving the FQDN to the WAN IP of your firewall/3CX rather than the LAN IP.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: COM-TEL
The username and password is the Extension number and Password generated in 3CX.

Make sure that there are no other settings in the config fields. If the phone has been used before it may be worth factory resetting it.

On the Yealink GUI, go to account 1, ensure it is enabled.
Register Name: Extension Number
User Name: Extension Number
Password: As generated in 3CX
Sip Server 1: Your internal Ip address of the 3CX server or the FQDN

Dont forget to press CONFIRM at the bottom.

Leave everything else. The default settings should be enough for you to get it to register with the server and try it out.

Thanks for that, the phone seems to bee good, ready to accept phone calls. But it is not listed in the server, and when I try to call it, it is not available.

What version of firmware is the Yealink on?

Older firmware won't provision using an https link as they don't trust the 3CX v15 SSL certificate, so you should probably upgrade the Yealink firmware manually first. The 3CX recommended firmware is 52.81.0.61 but i generally find anything above x.80.x.x is OK. I know your handsets are local LAN so won't use the SSL provisioning but there could be other issues with using old firmware.

(This bit may help someone else)
You can cheat by logging onto the phone web UI and going to security > Trusted Certificates > Set "Only Accept Trusted Certificates" to disabled and then reboot.

The phone will then provision and you can then upgrade the firmware through the 3CX management console (You can do multiple phones all at once which saves a lot of time)

Failing that, check your 3CX FQDN/Hostname resolves correctly from your laptop as it should resolve to the LAN IP of your 3CX server. If it doesn't, you need to create a DNS zone on your SBS that resolves your FQDN to your 3CX LAN IP.

The softphone may be working because it's going out of your firewall to the internet and back in, as it's resolving the FQDN to the WAN IP of your firewall/3CX rather than the LAN IP.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the answer
The firmware is the latest, 52.81.0.70.

I tried to disable to trusted cerificates, but did not help.

I pinged the name of my server from my laptop, it answered fine from the correct IP address, I presume this means it is resolving the IP address.

What name did you ping? It should be the same as what is displayed in the first part of the provisioning link that you are entering into the Server URL field under Auto Provision on the Yealink. Then click the 'Autoprovision Now' button at the bottom.

You don't need to populate any other information on the Yealink other than the AutoProvision Server URL

What name did you ping? It should be the same as what is displayed in the first part of the provisioning link that you are entering into the Server URL field under Auto Provision on the Yealink. Then click the 'Autoprovision Now' button at the bottom.

You don't need to populate any other information on the Yealink other than the AutoProvision Server URL
Dave,
I pinged the network name of the server, but the provisioning link was different.
I might have used wrong provisioning link. The server name in that was our DNS server name, not the 3CX server.
I typed in the network name of the server, and it provisioned.
Thank you very much for your help
Now it says the firmware is not supported. Do you suggest to downgrade to the supported firmware, or stick to the up to date version?

In most cases, when connecting a phone to the network the phone will start to broadcast its details which will be picked up by 3CX and subsequently display the phone in the Phones section as unassigned. Once detected, you can then assign it to an extension whereupon the system will send a notify and the phone will be provisioned to the assigned extension.

If the phone is not displaying, then perhaps there is an issue in a firewall that is not allowing the discovery to reach the 3CX system. You should also check the phone to insure that it is picking up its DHCP info correctly and that the DNS server in use behind the LAN is able to resolve the FQDN to the internal IP of 3CX.

Oops, saw that you already resolved.

As far as firmware goes, the safest bet is to use that which 3CX recommends. This is the firmware to which they have reportedly tested and assure (as much as possible) that it is compatible to the system. Later firmware may be completely suitable as it is not possible for 3CX to immediately test each new release for every supported manufacturer and phone model, so it is reasonable to expect a lag. It may be perfectly good, but then again there could be something that isn't quite right. My personal take is that if you do not experience any issues in your operation, then stay with the latest and wait for 3CX to catch-up. If there are issues, you can always down grade.

Last edited:
Hi Dezso

I thought it sounded like a DNS issue :) However i would recommend configuring your LAN DNS to resolve the provisioning link that 3CX suggests, as this is the best method.

Running newer firmware shouldn't be a problem, but if you do experience issues i'd downgrade using the 3CX console

Thanks

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.