• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Phone system management Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stringmusic

Free User
Reaction score
Hi,

It's come to my attention that the Phone system management console login is susceptible to brute force attacks. Would it be possible to add 2 factor authorization such as TOTP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-based_One-Time_Password to login.

There are other methods, but this could complement what ever security we have installed.

Could someone tell me if this possible to add to the system management console.

Thanks,

You only need 3 failed attempts to get blocked. The only way you can bruteforce the MC password is by changing IP on every 3rd request. Do you know how many IPs and time you would need to bruteforce a secure password? :)

If you tried it on your installation and it worked it's most probably because you whitelisted your IP.

Hi,

It's come to my attention that the Phone system management console login is susceptible to brute force attacks. Would it be possible to add 2 factor authorization such as TOTP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-based_One-Time_Password to login.

There are other methods, but this could complement what ever security we have installed.

Could someone tell me if this possible to add to the system management console.

Thanks,
The system has many defences. No need to fear anything. Just make sure the Global Blacklist is enabled and the auth failure attempts is set to maximum 5.

As for TOTP, v18 has G Suite/M365 SSO, which can be used to force TOTP. Then, make sure you admin user has a very long and random password and you'll be just fine.

@stringmusic
Everything mentioned by Frederick and florink are all good points, I just want to add that, in addition to all these measured, you can always also restrict Management Console access to only specific IPs for further harden the system.

This can be done from "Settings >> Security >> Console Restrictions". Make sure you add at least one of your public IPs to the list before enabling to avoid locking yourself out. All Local IP ranges are allowed by default.

Thank you for your feedback. v18 /365 Appears to be restricted to a windows environment. It might be useful to have 2FA for users on other office applications.

You only need 3 failed attempts to get blocked. The only way you can bruteforce the MC password is by changing IP on every 3rd request. Do you know how many IPs and time you would need to bruteforce a secure password? :)

If you tried it on your installation and it worked it's most probably because you whitelisted your IP.
Nope, i haven't calculated it. However, by premtively thinking about this may allow us to limit the quantum computer's advantages.

v18 /365 Appears to be restricted to a windows environment.
If you're referring to the OS 3CX is running on then that's not really the case, all you need to do is setup the Microsoft 365 Integration which of course means you need a Microsoft 365 subscription.

Reactions: ConceptsWeb
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.