Phone that moves from Internal to External

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by StevenM, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenM

I have a few managers that like to take there phone home.

How do i set this up. Do I need to make the phone provision through Remote Extension (STUN)??? I have made internal DNS which exactly the same to the external DNS. If i make the phone provision using Local LAN the sip doesnt register as it uses @ipaddress instead of the @dnsname

if i go into the yealink phone and change the ip address to fqdn it works fine but i want all phones to do this in the provisioning.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you can get the set to register internally, using the FQDN, then great, it should then work from outside as well. Once you got it working you'd then have to prevent the set from attempting to re-provision itself, which may have other consequences. STUN can usually be disabled on remote sets when used with the last few 3CX PBX releases. A lot, however, can depend on the LAN/Router/network/port conflicts at the remote location.

Most VoIP sets are not designed to be constantly moved inside and outside the local LAN. They are usually setup for one or the other

3. StevenM

Ok so you are saying is there is no way of making it provision handset with e.g. 101@pbx.testdomain.com instead of 101@192.168.1.10.

If not how do you make this happen?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I assuming that you were wanting this set to re-provision itself every time it connects both internally, and then again when connected remotely?
    I believe that auto-provisioning was designed to work with sets that remained in one location or the other. If you find a provisioning file that will work both locally and remotely, and this may involve some manual "tweaks "to the internal settings, then the auto provisioning function , in the set ,should probably be disabled, to allow the set to retain the settings no matter where it is plugged in.

Phones such as the 3CX softphone have the ability to store settings for both local and remote access, unlike the majority of VoIp hard phones, the use of a private IP and public IP/FQDN being the primary difference. If , as you said, the set will register, and work correctly internally, when set to register to the FQDN, then that may be the big hurdle. You would have to do some testing to see if there are any further consequences when using the set internally.

Perhaps some other forum members, that have been put in the same situation, would care to comment.

5. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Which settings are you attempting to set besides the Sip Server? Most of the Yealinks if I recall have the ability of multiple Sip Servers so if the first fails, it will register the backup.

Or perhaps a second template for these phones that always use the FQDN instead of IP for internal and FQDN for external.

Just throwing out some ideas.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.