Phone via Hardware VPN

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by GManNAtl, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GManNAtl

I am curious if this is the way traffic should flow . . . .

I have a phone connected via a hardware VPN tunnel. When making a call out via NexVortex the traffic is being sent to the 3CX and then out to the ITSP. Shouldn't the connection go P2P with the ITSP?? I checked the settings on the VOIP gateway and PBX delivers audio is off. Why shouldn't the traffic just go straight to the provider from the remote location?

If I were to register this phone via the external IP instead of via the VPN tunnel would it behave differently?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I might be wrong...but, I believe that calls to a VoIP provider will never route from a remote location extension direct to the provider. They will always pass through the network that 3CX is located on. For one thing, this sort of behaviour would require a "hand off" of the call from the pubic IP where 3CX is located (and where the call is established, where the provider thinks you are located), to the IP where the remote extension is located.

3. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

Any calls going out will have to hit the system first either PSTN, or VoIP so when your using the handset via vpn tunnel calls will hit the system first then go out to interenet in your case.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Set 'PBX delivers audio' for this remote extension into the Extension settings at 3CX server.
    This should solve any issues with voice.

Otherwise using VPN you need to register the phone to the internal address of the PBX, not to public, no STUN and NAT, otherwise you will not use the tunnel. You must have static routes for the LAN segmets on the both sites of the tunnel, i.e. if site 'A' network is 192.168.1.0/24 and site 'B' network is 192.168.2.0/24, you need to route statically the traffic to other network via the tunnel and vice-verse on the second network.

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.