Phones blacklisted by auth failures unable to reconnect

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by tc1, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tc1

    tc1

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hopefully someone else has experienced this problem before and can shed some light on it.
    The first time it happened I thought it was an old phone that died, but it subsequently happened with a brand new phone of a different make.

    After upgrading from V14 to V15.5 I noticed on the phones page an extension was reported as having a "not supported firmware". I clicked on the firmware button and was advised that the firmware would be updated if I clicked OK, which i did. the phone rebooted and appeared OK.
    I then noticed that the extention of that phone was reported as having an unsafe password. (less than 6 digits). I changed the password and rebooted the phone to re-provision it.
    The Snom phone (720) as then blacklisted for having too many auth attempts.
    I cleared the blacklist in 3cx and reset the physical phone to default values.
    After it started up it appeared in the phones list but when I tried to allocate it to an extension, nothing happened. The phone provisioning tab of the extension opens, the phone is listed in the relevant fields but when I click OK, the entry stays highlighted on the phones tab and it is not allocated to the extension.
    I rebooted the phone again and now it just sits at "Sending DHCP requests..." I could not see any errors in the DHCP Log. When I allocate a fixed IP to the phone I am still unable to access the webpage.
    I put that phone aside for now.

    I plugged in a new Fanvil X3s. The phones page told me the firmware needed to be changed( the phone came with a newer version than that recommended by 3cx) so I connected to the phones web page and updated it to the firmware at: https://www.3cx.com/support/phone-firmwares/. The phone rebooted and seemed fine.
    I allocated it to an extension. All went well until I realized I had allocated it to the wrong extension. I removed it from that extension and created a new extension, then allocated the phone to that.
    The phone was blacklisted for too many auth attempts. I connected to the phone webpage and noticed that the original extension number had not been changed by the re-provisioning. I changed it manually. I removed the blacklist entry and rebooted the phone. The phone is listed on the Phones page with an ip adress but the phone status page says "requesting IP". I tried allocating a fixed IP to the phone but I cannot access the webpage or ping the device.
    I followed the recommended "reset to defaults" procedure, but the phone still boots up with a 3cx logo, as opposed to the original Fanvil Logo and fails to get allocated an IP address. Again I cannot see any errors in the DHCP logs.

    I have obviously done something wrong with both of these phones. The other 12 odd phones I installed all work perfectly.
    Any help with recovering these 2 phones will be greatly appreciated.
     
  2. YiannisH_3CX

    YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

    Joined:
    May 10, 2016
    Messages:
    6,016
    Likes Received:
    421
    Hello @tc1

    Do the phones start up normally? If they do then it looks like an issue with DHCP. If you cannot ping the phones and reach their interface then you cannot provision them. Try factory resetting them again or perhaps plug them in to a separate network and see if the phones can get an IP like that.
     
  3. tc1

    tc1

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you for the response. actually now that you mention it, these phones are in a remote building with 3 switches in between. I will try them on the primary network later today and see what happens. Its strange, because other devices are receiving IP addresses via DHCP on that remote link.
     
  4. tc1

    tc1

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    So its been a hectic week and I only got a chance to try these two phones today on another network.
    I am convinced there is a problem with the 3cx image that was downloaded to the phones.

    The phones do not connect if set to dhcp. Other devices on the network connect to dhcp without problems.
    If i set a manual ip address the phones show up on the phones dashboard of 3cx, but they do not respond to a ping and one cannot connect to the web portal on that address. If I try to allocate an extension to the phone, the phone stays in the phone list and does not respond.
    Any advice on how to recover these phones will be greatly appreciated.
     
  5. tc1

    tc1

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have tried to reset the phones to factory defaults but the phone still shows the 3cx logo when it boots up, as opposed to the manufacturers logo, which was the case when the phone was first powered up.
     
  6. tc1

    tc1

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
  7. tc1

    tc1

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    After following the above instructions and not getting anywhere I went into post mode again and then started pressing each button in turn. It was displaying the value of the key. Then I pressed the OK button and the screen went white and stayed that way. I rebooted the phone and now it is working perfectly again.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.