phones fail to provision be any method

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Louie Arbs, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louie Arbs

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2016
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello all. Thank you for reading my post. This is my first 3CX system I am configuring for a client. We are attempting to do preinstallation tasks like install the OS, install 3CX and provision the phones so that when we go onsite all we need to do is install the phones, make a few configuration changes (public IP and email server information) and configure the SIP trunks for their provider.

    When I plug a phone into the network the provision request is visible in the management console. I have already configured user extensions so i click on the phone and then click on assign extension. I assign the extension and it takes me to the phone provisioning page for the extension. i verify the data is correct and click OK. Nothing happens. If i go to the phones web gui and then go to settings>autoconfigure I can drop the url in like the manual shows, click confirm and then click autoprovision and it does something in the browser and says operation successful but the phone never resets or shows the extension data.

    Ive tried with 2 phones. the first a Yealink t42G and a Yealink W56P. There will also be Yealink t21p phones but I have not attempted to configure them yet.

    On the w56p when I connect it to the network it appears to try and provision and then beeps and displays a provision failed message on the screen.

    I have configured option 66 in DHCP and place the link to the server there.

    Any help getting me going is appreciated
     
  2. YiannisH_3CX

    YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

    Joined:
    May 10, 2016
    Messages:
    4,349
    Likes Received:
    274
    Is this a linux installation or a windows one?
    Your provisioning link contains a local IP or an FQDN?
    I assume these are local phones and in the same subnet from your description so check if your local IP address has changed since installation
     
  3. Louie Arbs

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2016
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    This is a Windows installation on Server 2012 R2. The provisioning link goes by IP address. The phones are all local. Im using the network I use for imaging in my config shop. There are custom DHCP options set there based on vendor class for pxe boot and we thought that may be causing an issue so today i brought in a little router to create a separate network to just use for the phones. Not much progress as i changed IP addresses and while the 3CX software seems to recognize the change, thr provisioning link still shows the old address. This is especially problematic as I do not know the IP addresses the client uses on their network and was under the assumption changing the IPs on the server was not a big event and the phones wont cars as they are DHCP. Im about to reboot the server to see if that gets the 3CX to update the provisioning link.

    Yesterday when I checked the provisioning link I get a forbidden message in my browser. However our company installed 3CX for our use and when we checked our company provisioning link, we get a message stating it is unsafe to proceed so i think there may be an issue there
     
  4. andreasc

    Joined:
    May 19, 2014
    Messages:
    35
    Likes Received:
    3
    If you change the IP of the PBX you need to re-install.
    Don't make things complicated with custom DHCP options.
    Install the PBX ,Factory reset your phone , Go to Management Console Phone Page
    You will see a PNP from the Phone Press add.
    That's all .
     
  5. Louie Arbs

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2016
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    I reinstalled and chose to use the FQDN option vs the IP address. PNP still does not work correctly. Phones show up in the phone list but do not provision when assigning them to an extension. I did end up getting 3 of the phones up and working but I had to coy the provisioning link into the phone UI and make some tweaks (changing http to https. changing port 5000 to 5001. then since I could not add an A record for the server to the home router I used to create a separate LAN segment in my work network, changes the fqdn to the current server IP.

    So now phones work but I am going to have to reinstall after I find out more information from the customer.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.