• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Phones not keeping date and time information

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvincent

Reaction score
I have a couple of phones that are not receiving the date and time information from the 3CX server we have set up to do so.

The server we are using is the "3CX Phone System Management console v 11.0.28976.849"
I have the Phone Provisioning settings tab pointed to the proper time server, with "enable daylight savings time" checked and configured appropriately.

Some phones are able to receive the date/time settings correctly, some do not. The same model of phones will work in some instances, but not work in others.

The phones I am using are the SPA941s, SPA504gs, and some 7940s and 7969s.

Any advice on how to correct this?

In the phone itself, there is a setting for an external NTP server. This would be set from the auto-provisioning file, or manually. It might be that the server name, or IP is incorrect, or that the set is unable to contact it. If an NTP server URL is used, be sure that the set can access a DNS server to do an IP lookup.

If you can access the set menu (GUI), you can make changes manually (test different NTP servers) to see if the time is then picked up. The provisioning file would then have to be corrected so that the same information is picked up the next time the set requests the file.

If you find that the minutes (but not the hour) are correct, then an incorrect time zone may have been selected.

leejor said:
In the phone itself, there is a setting for an external NTP server. This would be set from the auto-provisioning file, or manually. It might be that the server name, or IP is incorrect, or that the set is unable to contact it. If an NTP server URL is used, be sure that the set can access a DNS server to do an IP lookup.

If you can access the set menu (GUI), you can make changes manually (test different NTP servers) to see if the time is then picked up. The provisioning file would then have to be corrected so that the same information is picked up the next time the set requests the file.

The phones (both the correct and incorrect phones) and the server is pointed towards 64.147.116.229

jvincent said:
The phones (both the correct and incorrect phones) and the server is pointed towards 64.147.116.229

Then, as long as the network settings in the non-working sets are correct, it should be working. Have you swapped a working and non working set, so that the non-working picks up the others configuration file? It could be a set issue, but as it's more than one, that is unlikely. You didn't do any network changes/re-arrangements shortly before this began happening, did you?

Have you tried manually entering a different NTP server, just to test? Has the time setting ever worked on these sets?

leejor said:
jvincent said:

Then, as long as the network settings in the non-working sets are correct, it should be working. Have you swapped a working and non working set, so that the non-working picks up the others configuration file? It could be a set issue, but as it's more than one, that is unlikely. You didn't do any network changes/re-arrangements shortly before this began happening, did you?

Have you tried manually entering a different NTP server, just to test? Has the time setting ever worked on these sets?

I have not tried manually entering a different NTP server, I will see what that does shortly. The time setting used to work on these phones, and I cannot pinpoint any sort of event that changed that fact.

So it turns out the NTP server we were using had a status of "system going offline". I changed the NTP server on the 3CX Management Console, rebooted the phones, and now everything looks good, with the exception of the 7940s and the 7969 series still not showing any date or time for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.