Phones not seen as local when on different subnets

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by fonewiz, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fonewiz

I have had several issues with devices not being able to make outbound calls through 3CX when the devices are on a different subnet than 3CX.

For example, the devices are setup as local LAN devices with no NAT in the middle because there is no NAT, there is just a router in the middle on a private network in private IP space.

All of the auto-provisioned Yealink T42's and T46's work without issue, every time I try to use end points that are not something I can auto-provision, they can't make outbound calls because 3CX thinks they are no local devices because the subnet isn't the same.

The only device I have been able to get to work in this situation other than Yealink are the Grandstream devices. I know the word Grandstream will be blocked out due to some dispute you had with them (which just seems juvenile) but, they are the only devices I can get to play ball with 3CX in our network environments that we deploy customer PBX's in.

Tried endlessly to get a Patton M-ATA to work, never could. Works fine when 3CX is on the same subnet but same setup fails when 3CX is on a different subnet. Then purchased the recommended and supported Welltech. This was a way over complicated and overblown setup to get an ATA working and never got it right. Let's just say, it didn't seem worth the hassle. I setup a cheapy Grandstream HT-701 in 5 minutes and it's been working like a charm for weeks with no issue.

Problem is, I have a Polycom Soundpoint IP 6000 we sold a customer and we are having the same issue. I went with the Polycom because at the time I didn't trust the Yealink conference phones because they were too new. Can't make outbound calls because again, 3CX sees the device as NOT local and rejects the calls. There is no way for me to put 3CX and the device on the same subnet so, I am kind of stuck. I have another customer that we put sold the Yealink conference phone and it works find but their 3CX is on the same subnet, that will change soon and I fear their conference phone will quit working at that point too.

Is there any way to make these devices on different subnets work with 3CX? I don't want to try to set them up as NAT because there is NO NAT in the middle. In fact the whole point of the network config we have is to NOT have NAT in the middle.

Other PBX solutions such as Asterisk do not have this problem, they just work in this environment. 3CX does not.. Thanks for any assistance that can be provided to overcome this ongoing issue.

2. microage

go to the extension and then go to the options tab and uncheck "Disallow use of extension outside the LAN"

3. fonewiz

I unchecked this and will get someone at the location to try to make a test call and see if that fixes it. I did notice that the little tool tip next to the checkbox says that checking the box will keep the extension from "Registering" outside the LAN. The conference phone actually registers fine with this option checked and receives inbound calls, just can't make outbound calls.

Thanks again and I will give it a try.

4. fonewiz

Also, all the other phones on this 3CX install have that option checked and work fine. All the other phones are Yealink T42's though.

5. microage

yeah it may not be what you're looking for but when i had phones on a different vlan than the 3cx box I had to do it.

6. fonewiz

Did you have to uncheck it to get them to register and receive inbound/outbound or did you have a similar issue where they would register and receive inbound but no outbound?

7. microage

honestly i don't recall. it was some time ago for a customer.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The fact that your set(s) is/are registering just fine (as you stated earlier), may indicate that it is something else preventing outside calls. What does a 3CX Server Log of a failed call look like? Can we assume that internal calls work? There is an extension option to block outside calls.

Could this be a subnet mask issue?

9. piyushbandi

I have same kind of issue with presence information in different subnet mask also during the provisioning for the android phone. we have installed 3cx server in ip range 192.168.2.x whereas i want to impelement 3x for andriod with different ip subnet in corporate lan but does not allow users to use 3cx out of office. how do i do . pls help

10. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

In Asterisk, one usually defines what is/are the allowable subnets. The phones may also support LLDP-MED, which is a discovery protocoi which usually results in the phones showing up in the phone tab pending extension assignment whereupon you can do so and the phone will be provisioned accordingly.

You might check into:
    http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/nat- ... iguration/

This may help as it does address your issue, but I have also seen posts where some were not able to get it to work.

Yes, NAT is not required, but the subnet is still controlled by the subnet mask or other routing so as to overcome or support the idea of combining networks or keeping them separate.

As you only indicated issues with outbound calls, you may want to give the options PBX provides audio, re-invite and replaces a shot. Without additional specifics about the LAN set-up and a capture of a failed call for your scenario, this is a guess that might or might not provide relief.

11. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Piushbandi -

You may want to start a thread for your issue so as to get your own subject and possibly more responses. While some of the issues appears to be the same, it became different when you talked about the Android and the issue about outside the office. The same link I provided earlier in this thread may help, but I also suspect that perhaps an FQDN using the same host name for external and internal would help the in and out issue when using Wi-Fi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.