Picking up a call thats in a queue - dealbreaker

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by thatguycraig, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatguycraig

ok - been hitting my head against a wall with all this

ive got the phones set up in a way that is going to work. one of the BIG features for us is the ability to answer someone elses phone if they are not at their desk / busy

i can program the system to allow a *20* to pick up a call that is aimed at AN EXTENSION but i cannot get it to do it if a call queue is ringing.

so if a customer rings our number, and in the group "sales" user 1 and user 2 are both on the phones, and user 3 is away from his desk, then maybe someone from "transport" wants to take the call and take a message.

how can we do this? seems to be that if that user dials *20* then the call queue number, then that does not work.

Really a deal breaker as I say this. Its not good enough for all users to have to log in and out of call queues to pick up a ringing phone. I need the simple ability for members of other queues to be able to answer in time of need.

thanks for your help in advance

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The problem is that a queue is designed for use in a situation where a person should always be at a phone that is logged in/available. Because it will ring only one set at a time, it is not meant to be "picked-up" if that person just happens to be away from their desk and didn't log-out, or set to not-available (which they should be doing every time they are not at the desk). In a situation such as that, there is a good chance that the call may not be answered at all if everyone is busy, or away. You may want to consider using a ring group, it might be a better fit for your particular situation.

3. thatguycraig

are you able to pick up a call in a ring group?

the problem e have with this, and why we turned to call queues, is that in some departments we went to call a random phone, not have the same person ring first each time or have all phones ring at once.

not the end of the world at this moment in time, as long as someone is able to pick the call up.

So if we create ring group, lets call it group 1 - can someone from group 2 *20* pick up a call if no one from group 1 is available?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There are a few previous posts on the subject.

http://www.3cx.com/forums/group-pickup-what-is-a-group-31410.html

http://www.3cx.com/forums/pickup-ring-group-31047.html

http://www.3cx.com/docs/ring-groups-paging-intercom/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.