• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Pickup Ring Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigreilly

Free User
Reaction score
Situation:
Incoming call rings ring-group - which includes 4 phones
2 of the people are out of office.
1 person is already on a call, so number 2 picks up.
Third call comes in.
Person 1 ends their call.
Person 1 can not get the incoming call. It is not shown on another line of the user.

Does this make sense? Should I do a queue instead ?

Hello,

Dailing *20* will cause the line to pickup.

We have a similar setup in our office where it flows like this:

10 seconds(3 "service" phones)
10 seconds(All phones)
IVR
Option 9/Timeout(Call Queue w/ All phones)

What phone will it pick up though - any ringing phone ?
I tried this, and it worked 1 time - but another time, I intercepted a call from our Warehouse Manager to the Purchasing Agent.

Craig -

In your chronology of events, and assuming it to be literal, the 4th call should be handled by whatever rule is in place for the ring group if not answered. You indicate 2 of the 4 are Out, 3rd person is on a call already. A call comes in and the 4th person is then occupied. Prior to person 3 or 4 getting off of their call, another call comes in and presumably starts to ring at 1 & 2 (who are out of the office). Prior to the expiration of the ring time, either person 3 or 4 gets off their call and can/could pick up.

Call pickup is dependent upon how you have the extensions set up. *20* is a wild card call pickup that will pick up any call. Presumbaly if will prioritize and pick-up the oldest first and follow- on from there if more than one is ringing. If you have the extensions grouped, then you can go to the Settings, General, Global Options and tick the box that limits extensions to being able to only pick-up calls within their respective group. On the other hand, if the person can identify which extension is ringing, then they can dial *20*Ext# and pick-up the call at that specific extension. However, I am uncertain if the limit to being able to pickiup within the group will prevent an impicit *20*EXT# pickup or is the implicit will override the group limitation.

Reactions: gregory.b
If you are using multi-line capable SIP sets, and this scenario happens enough to make it worthwhile... add a second appearance of the same extension number on another key on the set. When an additional call comes into the ring group and someone is already engaged , the second key will flash. they could then use the hold key, on the set, and take the second call. You have to be sure to set how 3CX views the busy status of an extension. to allow more than one call at a time.

Both great suggestions.
The idea about allowing pickup within groups is good, but they they can see call details of anyone in the group. not awful - but some people need to make calls and the destination shouldn't be public knowledge...

*20* seems to work on a ring group - so *20*8000

But, the big issue here was that the users extension didn't allow for more than 1 call (under forwarding rules) so the ring group was ringing on the other phones, but not hers. That was an easy fix. But I am keeping the *20*xxxx in the notes - that will come in handy as we grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmirLD
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.