Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

PIN Protect - use your PIN on all extensions - "Follow Me"

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by shadownet, Feb 2, 2017.

PIN Protect - use your PIN on all extensions - "Follow Me" 5 5 3votes
5/5, 3 votes

1. shadownet

Most phone systems allow you to identify yourself at any extension by first entering your user PIN, and immediately dialling your desired number. This then associates the call to you, and reports can be pulled to see how many calls you are making. You can use your PIN at any extension in a "follow me" fashion.

The PIN protect functionality in 3CX is weak and clunky because it is not a user PIN, it is an extension PIN. And to use it is longwinded and painful. First you have to dial 777, then your PIN, then #, then the system authenticates, then you have to dial the desired number. This is cumbersome, and extremely irritating for users. Furthermore it only operates at that specific extension, meaning if you happen to want to make a call at someone else's extension, you can't - it is locked by one PIN specific to that extension.

Please change this so that i) you can use the PIN at any extension, and ii) you simply dial your PIN, the number you want to dial, and make your call - no longwinded torturous authentication please.

ITW and Cornelis like this.
  2. Taff3333

Do you mean Hotdesking?

This feature is coming back, however not sure when

3. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

4. shadownet

Thanks for the replies. Well, hotdesking would be one part of the required feature - being able to use any extension as yourself.

But still, the PIN protection remains clunky and longwinded. Other phone systems allow you to prepend your desired phone number with your PIN and it immediately authenticates and immediately dials, at any extension. For example <PIN><phone number> as opposed to 3CX's 777<PIN># to first authenticate and hear a voice prompt, then only dial your number.

Cornelis likes this.
  5. Cornelis

I agree, we also don't want hotdesking but we want "roaming" accounts/PINs so that when the CDR is generated there's provision for an "account number" instead of just getting numbers dialed per extension. Currently I've implemented a hack to get around this by using outbound rules and a custom script that picks up and reformats the CDR file. But it's not ideal and not supported. Native support for this as a feature would be so much better. Like shadownet, all our previous PBXs (as in all of them) had this built-in. We used to dial *0 (for text PIN prompt) <Enter PIN># then <number>. On the call record (CDR) there would then be a column for <account/PIN> and then separate columns for <extension> and <number dialled>. So it's easy to see what PIN was used even if it dialled numbers on multiple extensions.

Edit: note the *0 used to be a configurable dialing code.

6. Aaron Thompson

What was your workaround for this? or does anyone know when it will be implemented?
    I have a 100+ user client that was sold on 3CX but is waiting for the pin feature as it is the most important feature of their current 15-20 year old pbx.
    They have a staff community area and a private area with 1 desk phone in each location, they want every staff member to be able to use the phones in both of these locations but want to be able to log what staff member is using the phone via the pin entered into the phone in order to be able to dial an outside line, Their current PBX does this but it is faulty and old so it needs replacing (With 3CX).

#6 Aaron Thompson, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. Rhenier

Hi Aaron.

I am really interested to hear how you managed to meet this client requirement.

We are have exactly the same requirement and would like to move our client over to 3CX but the PIN dial from any extension is really important to them.

Hope to hear from you soon.

8. Dominik Oelmaier

+1

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Lucky Santiago