• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Please help out someone new to VOIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mioduz

Reaction score
I have a smallish project that I am trying to tackle. I have a building that will need network and phone service installed. All of the offices have CAT5 Cabling ran to them already, with RJ-45 Jacks in the wall.
There will be computers and phones in all of the offices, but there are no phone jacks.
I only intend on having one phone line coming into the building
There will be no connection to the internet, but there will be an internal network
Can I use a VOIP gateway and use VOIP phones and connect all the phones and computers to the same network, and simply plug the existing phone line coming into the building into the VOIP gateway, to have phone service???

thanks
Chris

Chris, I'm a novice at this myself but this is a perfect application for a voip solution. An IP PBX such as 3cx will allow the desktop SIP phones to act as extensions and you will have the option to use software based SIP phones on the desktop PC's and even mobile devices over wifi. The connection to the public phone system (aka PSTN) can be made with a gateway device that you plug into your network or a card that you install into the IP PBX. These come in various forms ranging in price from $12 on ebay to several thousand dollars depending on the quality, performance and features that you need. You can experiment with 3CX and one of the low cost devices like the Linksys SPA 3102 (around $100) without too much expense. The IP PBX such as 3cx gives you a great deal of control regarding who gets to call out over this PSTN line and what the dialling rules are and how you want inbound calls on that line to be routed (eg to a given extension, ring all extensions etc).

If you are new to this I would suggest setting up a test environment so that you become familiar with the technology and the terminology. It looks very straightforward superficially but you soon end up in the weeds due to the idiosyncratic nature of different SIP devices and you can pull your hair out chasing echo and volume, caller ID and dropped call issues.

I have set this up for my home network which is like a small office (using Grandstream phones, Linksys 3102 PSTN adapter) and running 3CX on an old laptop and I'm very pleased with the result. I do this for fun, there are trained professionals here that can fill in the blanks.

Stan

When you buy real VOIP Sip phones like SPA942, 962, or Snom you don' t need extra Cat5 or phoneplugs. You just put the network cable in the phone, and the phone has a 2 Lan so the signal goes then to your computer for networking.
So no prob at all.

What is the reason that there' s no internet? It would be much cheaper when you also provide internet for voiping later on.
But phonecalls through your network are no problem at all. 3CX is excellent for this.

I have a question and i would not open a new post for it since i think it is related to ht488.
If I transfer pstn call to 3cx extension via ht488 there is no voice on one of the channels. If i transfer pstn call to ip address:port of 3cx extension (another hardware phone/3cx voip clien), everything works fine.
I also noticed that if I create a ring group (let's say extension 800) and i transfer pstn call to extension 800 (from ht488 settings), everything seems ok.
Do you have any idea how i could solve direct transfer from pstn to internal extension (not ringgroup) work on both channels?
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.