Please help with some very simple questions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Mioduz, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mioduz

I am setting up a VOIP network in my residence. I would like to have up to 8 phones at some point in the house, but initially probably only 2-3. I plan on keeping my copper line at first untill I know I have any and all of the bugs worked out of my network. What would you recommend for a gateway device? How about phones?

Thanks
    Chris

2. datu503

Hello Chris

Its a good start, 8 phones with 2 PSTN lines + 1 PSTN line dedicated for FAX.

Here's my suggestion:

Polycom IP320, Linksys SPA921, Grandstream GXP1200

If cost doesnt matter
    Aastra 480i CT, SNOM 360, Linksys SPA962, SNOM M3 Dect <<--- This is Super sexy phone!

If cost really seriously matters :roll:
    Grandstream BT101 or BT200, HT-286, HT386

For the gateways to you 2 PSTN lines, I would go for GXW4104 (4 ports) or SPA400 (4 ports) or SPA3102 (1 FXO 1 FXS)

An added note, I will always emphasize to have a dedicate Windows 2000 or XP hosting your 3CX, best of all, set your 3CX as headless (no monitor, if possible no keyboard, so no wise guys every tough it except by yourself, it will save you tons of frustrations!)

Hope this helps!
    Cheers to 3CX, Have Fun! :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

I would not recommend Grandstream GXP 1200 phones. Also may i add that for small networks there is no need for a dedicated machine, you could run it on Vmware if you want or simply as an extra application on an existing server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Philco

Philco Member

Nick, what problems has GXP1200 with 3cx. I've got a coule running on test set up and seem ok..

Phil

5. Mioduz

Excuse my ignorance. But if I sign up for a VoIP Service Provider such as VoIP.com, install 3cx on a machine at my house, and connect a VoIP phone to my network do I still have to get a VoIP gateway device if I do not intend to connect the PSTN Lines comming into the house??

6. Philco

Philco Member

Or if not supported, set 'pbx delivers audio' on the voip line to help.

Phil

7. Mioduz

I was going to start off with just a subscription to VoIP.com and a cheap linksys SPA901 phone for test purposes. I already have a server sitting around not doing much. Will I need any other equipment?

8. datu503

If you havent bought SPA901, at least get an SPA921. For $20-$25 more, you get a better display phone.
    But Yes, that is all you need, an IP Phone, and an extra server!

Cheers!

9. Ryandc

Two things to point out:
    The Grandstream GXW4104 and 4108 are terrible, terrible Gateways. I had two and had nothing but trouble. I would not recommend using them.
    Also, clicking the "PBX Delivers Audio" will cause severe latency, particularly if you're running your 3cx install under a virtual machine.
    My recommendations: As far as gateways go, Patton seems to get the most support and praise.
    For phones, SPA-922 updated to the latest firmware. SPA942 if you want multi-line phones or if you want different routes to each phone (say, you run a business from home and want to have each phone have one ring for a personal call and another ring for a business call).
    And get a dedicated box. For an 8-extension system, a late-model PIII or early-model P4 will suit you fine, and you can find used business P4s for $100 that have an OEM XP Pro key and XP already installed.

10. Philco

Philco Member

My rcomendation for 'pbx uses audio' was for voip providers that dont support reinvite etc for placing calls back out on VOIP. Though sipgate doesnt as far as I know support this but thye are recomended.

I have found under test 'pbx uses audio' works fine on a dedicated machine with around 4 active calls.

Phil

11. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

What happen with 6,7,8 and so on calls?
    What kind of audio issues are there?

Thanks

12. Philco

Philco Member

This is on a machine which was used for printing too Stepan, though this is down the network, handling 4 external where pbx uses audio was set on as the providers used in the test dont support reinvite etc.

The PC works fine with 8 active calls if its doing nothing else too otherwise there is a little bit of latency or there is on the PC we are using on test.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.