Polycom 501 Setup

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by DuNuNuBatman, Feb 28, 2007.

1. DuNuNuBatman

I am very new to VOIP and have just received some polycom 501 phones. Anyway, I am trying to get them set up but am running into some issues.
    There are two seperate config sections on the site: SIP and Lines and I'm not sure what setting should go where.

SIP:
    Outbound Proxy
    Address:
    Port:
    Transport: DNSnaptr UDPonly TCPpreferred TLS
    Server 1
    Address:
    Port:
    Expires:
    Register:
    Retry Time Out:
    Retry Max Count:
    Line Seize Time Out:

Lines:
    Line 1
    Identification
    Display Name:
    Address:
    Auth User ID:
    Auth Password:
    Label:
    Type: Private Shared
    Third Party Name:
    Num Line Keys:
    Calls Per Line Key:
    ACD Login Logout:
    ACD Agent Available:
    Ring Type:
    Server 1
    Address:
    Port:
    Expires:
    Register:
    Retry Time Out:
    Retry Max Count:
    Line Seize Time Out:

I'm really confused because it doesn't seem to follow any standard naming...
    Here is my extension info:

User Information
    Extension Number: 100
    First Name: Joshua
    Last Name: D
    Authentication
    ID: 100
    Password: 100

My server ip is 10.0.0.12

Any help is greatly appreciated. I look forward to trying this out and possibly getting some of my clients running on it.

Josh

2. Costas3CX

Costas3CX New Member

Regarding the standard naming, I see all the fields except one. The one I don't see there, is the extension/account number. I will fill in the fields you need to fill in except the one I mentioned since i can't seem to find it. My best guess is that you fill in the ones I have indicated with red, and then try "label" or "address" which might be the account number.

These are the ones we usually configure. The rest are more advanced and should be left with their default value.

3. DuNuNuBatman

Awesome!
    Yea the extension needs to go under account.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help. I am pretty excited to get this working correctly.
    Do you have a supported phone page? I can take a couple screenshots and you guys can post it if you'd like.

4. dekatech

With the Polycom phones you can also use an FTP server

With the polycom phones you can use an FTP. TFTP or FTPS server to download the boot configuration, sip.ld application and the sip.cfg files where you can set your line extension info, your ip pbx info, your SNTP server info, all phone settings such as the DTMF inband setting that could cause you problems with IVR systems etc...

If you would like I can post the instructions for you?

Travis

5. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Hi DuNuNuBatman & Travis,

Great to hear its working! DuNuNuBatman - we'd appreciate the screenshots, can you send them to support at 3cx.com so we can post them? Thanks again.

Travis, if you do have the instructions this would be great to post for our users. Maybe you could mail them to support at 3cx.com too?

Thanks

6. sherlock

I have some screenshots of the IP301. Is there a preferred method of posting images instead of linking them back to our domain?

7. dekatech

IP 501 Central Boot Server FTP

Here are the instructions for utilizing a central FTP server to download the configuration files of the Polycom IP Phones, this works for the IP301,501 and 601

It is assumed that you are using DHCP to address the phones.

First you need a FTP server, I use FTP Shell Server (Great Product, Low Cost and has the capability of FTP, FTPS, SFTP etc..)

Create a directory on the FTP server (I use directory names for each type of phone e.g. IP_501 for the 501 series)

Under the directory you just created create three sub directories one named log one named contacts and one named overrides

Now create a user and a password with your FTP server software and assign the users home directory to be the Top level directory you created (e.g. IP501) **Note I create a different FTP user for each type of phone (just like I create a different directory for each type of phone. The reason I do this is although the configurations are similar for each phone different phones have different features you can configure**

Once you have the directory/directories created you will need to place the configuration files you received with your polycom phones (These are the sip.ld, bootrom.ld, cfg, 000000000000.cfg, sip.cfg, phone_1.cfg, sip.ver etc... **Note the current version of these files are only available from Polycom if you are a Polycom reseller. You can however, download older versions from their website.

Change the 000000000000.cfg to reflect the mac address of your phone (you will have one of these for each phone (allows you to configure each phone differently) The MAC adress of your phone can be found on the bottom of the unit.

Copy and rename the sip.cfg file to your_sip.cfg (This is where you can set many config options (The configuration is out of scope for this document).

Copy and rename the phone_1.cfg file to X712.cfg or TravisPhone.cfg what ever you naming convention is. I use extension numbers.

In the file you just renamed set the reg1.address to the 3cx extension number e.g. 700 Set the reg.1.label to EX 700 Set the reg.1.userid to the extension user ID e.g. 700 Set the reg.1.password to the extensions password (set in 3CX), Set the reg.1.server.1.address to the ip address of the 3cx server leave everything else as defaults.

You will need to configure each phone with the ip address or cname of the server to do this:

Select the menu button on your phone
    Select settings
    Select advanced
    Enter your password (default for polycom is "456" without the quotes)
    Select Admin Settings
    Select Network Configuration
    Scroll down too Server Menu press select
    For server typ choose the type of FTP server you have setup choices are FTP, FTPS, Http, Https(depending on bootcfg) or Trivial FTP
    Type in the IP address of the server in the server address field
    Type in the user name associated with the FTP login (you create this with your FTP server software)
    Type in the password you assign the FTP user (again created with your FTP server software)
    Prov Method = Default

Reboot your phone and your config will be downlaoded.

Hope this was useful

Travis

8. DuNuNuBatman

I can't seem to find the config files on polycom's website... also, is there a way I can get the latest???
    I purchased these phones from a company on ebay that was getting rid of them so I don't have access to the reseller.

9. dekatech

alas, Polycom only distributes the new version of files to resellers. You can download the old version of the boot.cfg and sip.ld files from there website.

Travis

10. support@uswi.com

Talk to the folks you bought your phones from. They should have no problem providing you with the firmware and boot files.