Polycom firmwares update with support for IP501's (resolved)

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by FGCUHank, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FGCUHank

FGCUHank New Member

I have my Polycom 550's, 330's and 331's all auto provisioning via IIS, DHCP with option 66.

I also have 2 of the pain in the butt 501's.

Under my old asterisk box I had all the phones connecting via TFTP and I had the Polycom firmware 313 Rev C on the TFTP server. This firmware supports both the 501's and the other "real" polycom phones.

Question is, can I put the firmware in the provisioning directory on 3cx and have the phones grab it while connecting?

Worst case scenario I could hard IP the 2 501's and have them use TFTP and grab manual config files like before but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

2. FGCUHank

FGCUHank New Member

Re: Polycom firmware update

Well, I spent a few minutes on this and it looks like the answer is yes.

I put the 3.13c firmware in the provisioning directory and all my phones including the 501's are grabbing it and updating.

I'll post back if I can get the 501's to read a config file from 3cx. First pass is the dreaded config file error.

3. FGCUHank

FGCUHank New Member

Re: Polycom firmware update

I swear, why did I waste so much damn time on asterisk...

The 501's auto provision with 3cx.

Here is the trick.

You need polycom firmware 3.13c or higher.

Backup your provisioining directory...

Copy all the files from the firmware to the provisioning directory on 3cx. Don't overwrite the .cfg files for your existing/working phones.

Select just polycom when configuring an extension to use the 501 with.

The phone will go through 2 boot cycles. First to load and write the new firmware and second to login. The 501's are slow as heck so be patient.

4. FGCUHank

FGCUHank New Member

I have a tendency to babble so I wanted to clarify.

The steps above will update the firmware and sip.ld on all the polycom phones plus add support for autoprovisioning of the 501's

5. cfive

cfive Member

Polycom has documentation on support of both older and current version hardware, on the same provisioning server. I belive I had to keep the .313 versions there, and modify/save a template for the older phones so they wouldn't try and download the more recent versions (which, they cannot load).

Once set up, it works :).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. FGCUHank

FGCUHank New Member

Yes, 313c seemed to fix that issue. The 501's through the 550's seem to behave quite well.

For the 501's I just selected "polycom" as the phone model. I'm sure I'll need to dive into a template at some point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.