Polycom HDX quality issues

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by btgrp_3cx, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btgrp_3cx

So we have 1 Polycom HDX 8000 HD (In HQ) and 3 HDX 6000 HDs (Remote offices connected via MPLS). We manually configured the SIP on the devices since they are not officially supported devices.

The situation is such that SIP calls HDX to HDX work great, no issues at all, with all default 3CX settings for the extension. When we try to make outbound calls outside of 3CX (currently we are routing through our existing phone system via a Patton 4114 for testing and added complexity) we have one of two scenarios; 1. Either we get no audio at all or 2. we check the PBX Delivers Audio option and it works just very muted and not nearly the clarity of the unmodified HDX to HDX, also with this option selected HDX calls are now choppy video and audio.

Also, the HDX 8000 in HQ does not require this setting to be checked in order to make outbound calls via the Patton route.

Anyone had any experience with this? Possible codec issue, any thoughts on things to check and look for?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would think that there is a 99% chance that it is a Codec issue. It may be that the Polycom is unable to use, or is "suggesting " to use, the Codec(s) available to the other end. I would remove the HD codec from the list of those available but be sure the "standard" (G711a/U) are in the list of those to use. See if that makes a difference, with the calls that had a problem before. There could be a setting that is restricting Codec selection and causing the "no audio" issue.

3. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I would also recommend to enable the "PBX Delivers Audio" in the GW settings, not in the Extension settings on your extension(s).

The reason for this is that if you enable it on the extensions, even extension-to-extension calls are going over the MPLS and back again, which might actually be causing the choppiness you are referring to.
    When enabling it though on the Gateway, you are just telling all extensions that when they use the GW to not send the audio directly to it, rather just then proxy the audio through the PBX.

4. btgrp_3cx

Hey, thanks for the ideas. Its been awhile since I was able to mess with it we had some big projects come in that took over the world for a minute but I'm starting to get back on this.

NickD, I have enabled the PBX Delivers Audio on the gateway and I'll see how that works.

leejor, when you say remove the HD codec do you mean uncheck that option from the call preferences on the HDX? Its the only place I can find anything for codecs so I just wanted to double check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.