• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Polycom IP 450 and IP 335 can't blind transfer internally

Status
Not open for further replies.

converged2

Reaction score
I am having an issue on a new install where I am unable to blind transfer internally using Polycom IP 450 and IP 335 phones. 3cx is the latest build (9 sp4) and boot rom and firmware are 4.3 and 3.3.1. I brought two phones home from the client and tested on test NFR server and blind transfer worked fine.

When you answer the call, select transfer, blind internally the send soft key comes up and you enter the extension. Once you hit send you hear the tones sent but nothing changes on the screen and the caller just stays on hold.

Calls from the PSTN work fine, and my remote Cisco SPA 504g works fine. The only thing I wonder about is the server was built for 3 digit extensions and the customer wanted two so I changed. This is my first 3CX commercial install, but I have extensive experience with Broadsoft, Trixbox and Bicom. Need to get this working so I can submit final bill.

Thanks

Re: Polycom IP 450 and IP 350 can't blind transfer internall

Hi Louis,

I'm also on v9 with SP4 and Polycom phones with bootrom 4.3 and SIP firmware 3.3.1, and blind transfer does not work for me either ! (it did work fine with previous service packs). I currently have a paid support call open on this, but the first response from 3CX was 'well, it works for us' which was incredibly unhelpfull.

I've provided a Wireshark capture etc but I've heard nothing since.

I hope to be proven wrong but it looks like blind copy does not work with the above configuration.

I like 3CX, but it appears that each service pack fixes some bugs and then goes and introduces some new ones. As soon as I get some news on my support call I'll update this thread so that you know what's going on.

I think I'm at the point now where once I've got this fixed I will not apply any further service packs for many months until I can get a test environment up and running.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for the great information. I too have sent the wiresharks and logs to 3CX support on Friday so I'm waiting to hear back. I thought it was the boot rom and firmware as my phones came originally with 3.1 code.

And that the exact same phones worked correctly on my test system at home really has me puzzled. If I find anything out I will let you know.

Hi

Send me an email [email protected] with the ticket id so I can locate them.

I think you have a problem with digitmap in the polycom.

Solutions:

Open the polycom template and confirm that the digit map section is set as follows:
<dialplan
dialplan.digitmap=""
dialplan.digitmap.timeout=""
dialplan.1.digitmap=""
dialplan.1.digitmap.timeout=""
/>

this should blank it out.

Reprovision the phone.

If it still does not work, then we need to erase the local configuration of the phone and reprovision again because then I assume that he kept the previous digit map settings from the old configuration. Yes we had these type of problems when we moved from the previous bootrom+firmware to the current one.

Let me know how this goes.

YOu can also make a test before by logging in the polycom interface (Polycom / 456) - go to SIP section and completely BLANK out the section digitmap.

Hi Nicky,

Regarding your post...

nickybrg said:
Send me an email [email protected] with the ticket id so I can locate them.
Done.

nickybrg said:
I think you have a problem with digitmap in the polycom.

Solutions:

Open the polycom template and confirm that the digit map section is set as follows:
<dialplan
dialplan.digitmap=""
dialplan.digitmap.timeout=""
dialplan.1.digitmap=""
dialplan.1.digitmap.timeout=""
/>

this should blank it out.

Reprovision the phone.
The phones are provisioned using the standard v9 SP4 Polycom template, so these settings are already blank. I reprovisioned them anyhow, but blind copy still does not work.

nickybrg said:
If it still does not work, then we need to erase the local configuration of the phone and reprovision again because then I assume that he kept the previous digit map settings from the old configuration. Yes we had these type of problems when we moved from the previous bootrom+firmware to the current one.

The phones I'm testing this with, 3x SPIP 450's, have already been reset. However, to have a clean slate they have all had the following done to them...

# 'Flash settings reset' (via holding down the keys 1357).
# 'Reset Local Configuration'.
# 'Reset Device Settings'.

... and blind transfer still does not work.

To be blunt though any solution that requires having the dialplan.digitmap settings zeroed out seems wrong to me, as this is a key feature for providing my users with a phone system to their satisfaction. For example calls to internal extensions connecting immediately, getting a secondary tone after pressing '9' for an outside line etc.

Thanks.

Clive.

Yes - we are checking on why the blindf transfer does not work. i requested info from the portal.

We blank the dial plan because it is the most common used for all users.
You are in control of this template and if you want to make advanced features with the dial plan then go ahead - Template is in your control, you can edit it, you can research and test it and eventually deploy it.

I cannot create a dial plan for the general public use because you would want this 1 way, someone else would want it in another way, other users could be in a different country therefore would required different prefixes to be added, stripped, and the list goes on and on. Lets stick to this problem of blind transfers and concentrate on fixing this for now. Then we can discuss later.

Nicky,

I resent the ticket.

Thanks

converged2 said:
Nicky,

I resent the ticket.

Thanks

Hi Lou,

Nicky sorted this out for me today, do you want me to PM you about this ?.

Thanks.

Clive.

Hi,

Yes, please PM me.

Thanks

Lou

Re: Polycom IP 450 and IP 335 can't blind transfer internall

Hi there

The HD-capable models in the Polycom range of phones have G722 codec capability. Due to the way the Polycom phones restrict codec changes during the course of a call, blind transfers will fail for G722 calls.

One way to work around the problem is to set the "PBX delivers audio" for these phones - this will put some additional CPU load on the PBX machine, and will exclude G722 from being used for most call types.

Another way to work around the problem is to use a customized template which removes the G722 codec from the phone's capability list. This should allow the phone to be able to correctly effect blind transfers, without the need to burden the PBX's CPU with the "PBX delivers audio" option.

I have attached an experimental template which can be added to the ".../templates/phones" folder. You can now adjust your phone provisioning settings to use one of the "with b/Xfer" model descriptions.

Regards

Attachments

• polycom-with-bxfer.ph.xml.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 70

Hi Kevin,

Nicky Borg kindly assisted me with my issue, which is as you state, and I've enabled 'PBX Delivers Audio' as I can easily reverse this at a later date.

However, with 3CX v9 SP3 and Polycom SPIP's running SIP 3.2.3 blind transfering worked absolutely fine with no problems at all.

I only upgraded my Polycom SPIP phones to SIP 3.3.1 as you state in the guide below that this is now supported...

http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/polycom-provisioning.html

... so I have to ask the question 'Was the blind transfering of internal calls between Polycom SPIP's running SIP 3.3.1 tested by 3CX before updating the above guide ?'.

Thanks.

Hi

I think I have already clarified this issue. There is no further point in continuing this thread.

As I specified in email threads we exchanged yesterday, there was a possibility with certain models that yes previous boot roms and firmwares worked fine. Because Polycom used to re-offer all the codecs it had in it's list. This behavior seems to have changed in the latest firmware and boot rom.

Yes we tested blind transfers with Polycom - with the codecs that currently 3CX V9 officially supports - that is PCMU, PCMA, GSM G729. Anything else that 3CXPhone System Version 9 officially does not support, we did not find the need nor had the resources to test in such a short time and left it in the hands of the 3CX and Polycom community.

So you have the following options

a) either remain on SP3 with the old polycom firmwares and you get G722 (Drawback: then you have much more stuff to update because you have to upgrade all your phones, and upgrade the PBX and you cannot benefit from SP4 nor SP5 coming soon b4 xmas)

b) go to SP 4 and latest polycom firmwares and bind phones to media server with 1 checkbox - which is the solution I suggested and you can benefit from more service packs and also when v10 comes out you have 5 minutes of changes to make only to get back G722. Cost of this - you will not use G722 for calls. In Version 10 3CX Media server will natively support G722. These problems will disappear completely.

c) Remove G722 from the polycom template and do not bind to media server. This involves a change in the template which you are going to do and a reprovision of all the phones. Then when V10 is out, you need to load the latest templates and re provision the phones again. (this is also an acceptable quick solution) And you benefit from upgrades.

Choice is yours. Choose which one works best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leo13215464
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.