Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Polycom & Linksys giving NAT'ed IP instead of Gateway IP...

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mrswoop, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrswoop

I have 6 remote users in home offices and one central instance of 3CX. We just switched over from a competitor and have some new difficulty. Three of the six users work just fine, the other 3 are on Linksys routers. Each of those three appear to be providing the wrong IP information to 3CX. The call routing from the status page looks like:

[CM503004]: Call(100): Calling: Ext:Ext.106@[Dev:sip:106@192.168.1.3]

Clearly this is an internal IP address, rather than the gateway address of the router.

By the way... these same phones & routers (& configurations) worked previously using the other system?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. mrswoop

Hi Matt ~

The firewall test on the server hosting 3CX has one fail in it:
    Error (13) The machine is on a public IP. Please check the FAQ for more information.

Is there a firewall test that can be run from the phone side (all of our phones are remote)?

Scott

3. mrswoop

Matt ~

Our topology is that we are all geographically disbursed (each phone at a different location, home office). Our server is located at a hosted facility. We do not have a VPN, right now things are wide open... so I am unsure how to address that error? If you know of any documentation which addresses basic topology recommendations, I would certainly read it (we are very new to this).

As indicated, 3 of the 6 locations work just fine. The three using Linksys routers are not working because they are registering with 3CX using their internal IP addresses instead of thier local gateway IP addresses. So they show up as registered in 3CX, and inbound signals work (ie. they can dial a working extension and it rings), but calls cannot be completed becuase outbound signals are incorrectly routed to the wrong IP address.

Our phones support a NAT field... which I think would work (Polycom 320). But these locations are all dynamic IP and so I would not expect that to work.

Scott

4. BJReplay

BJReplay New Member

Not sure why it used to work but no longer does, but guessing that your previous system probably ignored the private IPs that have probably always been in the invites from the linksys units, and talked to the public IP that the calls / invites came from.

Linksys phones (and I assume, when you say Linksys routers that you're talking about something like a 3102 ATA with a built in router) support STUN, and probably just need to have stun setting set up in the phones / routers (you could use stun.3cx.com, and probably the substitute VIA address set to yes.

This will force the phones to find out and use the external IP address when talking to 3CX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.